• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Springs

Jimmys95

NAXJA Forum User
Im new to this forum and was refered her by a friend. I am considering going to about 8 inches of lift on my XJ. I want to fit 35's. I was talking to my friend and he suggested a fairly firm front spring. But when I asked about a brand or where to get one he refered me here. Any suggestions on what spring to get? I drive my Jeep alot on the street and but also do a fair amount of wheeling. So I want the best of both worlds. Any help I would appreciate.

Jimmy

skyjacker 8in springs are pretty stiff, I run them. my buddy has rockkrawler and they are quiet a bit softer. both work well...but if stiff is what your after skyjackers are the stiffest I would say.
-calvin

To help clarify, we plan to do long arms and he'll be getting my 6" rear leafs. I have Rusty's front coils but with longarms and these leafs, it is just not balanced well (to soft sprung up front with stiff rear leafs). I figured he'd be better off with a bit stiffer spring up front to balance it out.
Anyone know of site that might list spring rates or such?
BTW Jimmy, welcome aboard.

Run adjustable shocks and crank up the fronts a notch or two more than the rear

Hunter, are those the 4.5" RE coils? He's going to need about 7" to match the rear, what can he expect from the 4.5"?
You do know who we are talking about right? :) Another former MAJ member in Texas! :D

I know that a lot of the jeepspeed guys will run RE ZJ coils or skyjackers in order to get a stiff enough coil. If that isn't stiff enough, then some run custom springs made by Deaver. If you go there, they could give you some actual spring rates.

We put ZJ 3.5 inch coils on and got about 5" from it, just FYI.

Marcus

JnJ said:
Hunter, are those the 4.5" RE coils? He's going to need about 7" to match the rear, what can he expect from the 4.5"?
You do know who we are talking about right? :) Another former MAJ member in Texas! :D

yeah re 4.5 zj coils. id say he can expect about 6.5 i guess. hell i dont know, i havent had a good inidication of actual lift heighth since i put the springs on. i just know they are way stiffer than my old rustys, i can fit 35's with the weight of bumper/winch, i havent had any side to side heigth issues either. hes gonna need to do some trimming though, i guess if he cant stomach enough trimming there is always adding some isolators, spacers, or bumptops.

Hunter

here's some spring rate info I"ve gathered based on posts here at NAXJA. I can't vouch for how accurate this is, but the sources are some of our countries finest citizens:

OEM is supposedly 147 lb/in rate.

Tera 4" TJ coils give 4.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 200 lb/in rate , 20.25" tall unloaded
Tera 3" TJ coils give 3.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 170 lb/in rate

Rusty's 4.5" coils give 5" of lift and have a 150 lb/in rate, 22" tall unloaded
Rustys 3" coils give 3" and have 150 lb/in rate.

RE's 4.5" ZJ coils give 6"-6.25" of lift on an XJ and have a 200 lb/in rate, 22" tall unloaded
RE's 5.5" = 220lbs/in per RE
RE's = 180lbs/in per Dave Nay
RE's ZJ 5.5" = 240lbs/in per Crash

Rancho 3" coils, at least the old coils give about 2 1/4" of lift on an XJ and have a very high 235 lb/in
rate.
Rancho 3" = 240lbs/in per Rancho

Skyjacker 8" = 270lbs/in per Crash

OME coils give 2.25" - 2.5" of lift and have a 148 lb/in rate
OME930 front coils: 160lb/in per Kris Anderson
OMEJC1A rear springs: 148 LB/in per Kris Anderson
OMEJC2A rear springs: 137lb/in with 257lb/in overload spring per Kris Anderson

I have no probelm trimming the fenders now. After going to Big Dogs and beating the door in that last time I have given up on looks. I know I used to be the guy who feared dents. Now as long as I can drive it Im good. I expected to trim and was talking to JNJ about that when I was up there. A guy here in Mcallen was talking to me about trimming them. As far as the ZJ coils I talked to someone here who has them and he loves them. I just wanted someone who had some more experience to say the same thing. Thanks Hunter.

MaXJohnson said:
here's some spring rate info I"ve gathered based on posts here at NAXJA. I can't vouch for how accurate this is, but the sources are some of our countries finest citizens:

OEM is supposedly 147 lb/in rate.

Tera 4" TJ coils give 4.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 200 lb/in rate , 20.25" tall unloaded
Tera 3" TJ coils give 3.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 170 lb/in rate

Rusty's 4.5" coils give 5" of lift and have a 150 lb/in rate, 22" tall unloaded
Rustys 3" coils give 3" and have 150 lb/in rate.

RE's 4.5" ZJ coils give 6"-6.25" of lift on an XJ and have a 200 lb/in rate, 22" tall unloaded
RE's 5.5" = 220lbs/in per RE
RE's = 180lbs/in per Dave Nay
RE's ZJ 5.5" = 240lbs/in per Crash

Rancho 3" coils, at least the old coils give about 2 1/4" of lift on an XJ and have a very high 235 lb/in
rate.
Rancho 3" = 240lbs/in per Rancho

Skyjacker 8" = 270lbs/in per Crash

OME coils give 2.25" - 2.5" of lift and have a 148 lb/in rate
OME930 front coils: 160lb/in per Kris Anderson
OMEJC1A rear springs: 148 LB/in per Kris Anderson
OMEJC2A rear springs: 137lb/in with 257lb/in overload spring per Kris Anderson

Thanks Max, good info.

Jimmys95 said:
I have no probelm trimming the fenders now. After going to Big Dogs and beating the door in that last time I have given up on looks. I know I used to be the guy who feared dents. Now as long as I can drive it Im good. I expected to trim and was talking to JNJ about that when I was up there. A guy here in Mcallen was talking to me about trimming them. As far as the ZJ coils I talked to someone here who has them and he loves them. I just wanted someone who had some more experience to say the same thing. Thanks Hunter.

damn good to hear jimmy!

Hunter

JnJ said:

Just FYI - I run the RE ZJ 4.5" coils in my XJ. They gave me about 6" of lift. It sits about 1" higher than Mikal's XJ with 4.5" XJ springs. The RE ZJ coils are about 1/8" thicker than the RE 4.5" XJ coils, and noticeably stiffer. The flex is still great. A couple people have told me that the RE 5.5" Xtreme Duty coil is the same part number as the RE 4.5" ZJ coil.

I'd run these coils and a 2" spacer, or just get the 7" coils from RE. If run the ZJ springs and you end up hating having 7-8" of lift, you could remove the spacers. I love everything I have gotten from RE, it is good quality stuff.

Jared

Back