• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me with a rock slider design

85Runner

NAXJA Forum User
My friend asked me to make a set of sliders for his XJ. I have't made them for an XJ before. From what I can tell from pics is that they are just a peice of angle iron bolted to the body. Am I correct - is there any other mounting points. What's your view on the best sliders for an XJ?

Thanks for any help!! :party:

On an XJ you need to attach the sliders to the pinch seam and the frame rails. Also, I hear you can make them so that they also stiffen the unibody... but I've never bothered looking into it since I'm rather happy with the rails I have.

I would also be interested in finding some plans for rock rails. There was some really nice plans useing 2"x2"inch x 3/16"inch-wall box tube submitted here at the NAXJA forum sometime ago(..maybe six or seven months..? ), and now that I have aqquired some rudimentary fabrication and MIG welding skills, I really regret not takeing a more keener approach to makeing some-
-BILLXJ

BILLXJ said:
I would also be interested in finding some plans for rock rails. There was some really nice plans useing 2"x2"inch x 3/16"inch-wall box tube submitted here at the NAXJA forum sometime ago(..maybe six or seven months..? ), and now that I have aqquired some rudimentary fabrication and MIG welding skills, I really regret not takeing a more keener approach to makeing some-
-BILLXJ

Know any good words to search on?

Theres an "oxymoron"

I make sliders but I dont know how!

85Runner said:
My friend asked me to make a set of sliders for his XJ. I have't made them for an XJ before. From what I can tell from pics is that they are just a peice of angle iron bolted to the body. Am I correct - is there any other mounting points. What's your view on the best sliders for an XJ?

Thanks for any help!! :party:

RCP Phx, quit being an ass.

He makes them mainly for Toyota based stuff. I doubt he has and XJ in front of him ripped apart.

madxj.com has some good articles to get info from. Basicly the top part of the rocker is connected to the door sill usually by welding and the bottom part is welded to the pinch seam. Box is the most commonly used material.

I'm going to try to have 1/8 or 3/16 sheet bent to follow the contors of the stock rocker and replace with the new bent steel.

"Thats even worse".A non-XJer who doesnt own an XJ trying to sell his product without designing and testing it himself!

"I make rock sliders. Need some? email me [email protected]"

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
"Thats even worse".A non-XJer who doesnt own an XJ trying to sell his product without designing and testing it himself!

If you read the original post you would have read: "My friend asked me to make a set of sliders for his XJ. I have't made them for an XJ before. "

I am not trying to sell it. I am making the set for my friend. If he lived accross the street I would go over and check it out.

Weasel - thanks for the info

TAKE A LOOK AT MESA4X4.COM UNDER TECH ARTICLES. THEY HAVE SOME PICS TO SEE HOW ITS MOUNTED PINCHWELD BOLTS AND BRACE TO FRAME.

Back