• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to 4.5" Questions...

ranger518vx

NAXJA Forum User
It's been a while since I've posted here but anyways, after looking through some posts I want to make sure I have not missed something here that I'll need when I go from my current setup (3~3.5") to a full 4.5" lift. I plan on just adding spacers and shackles to what I've got.
Now heres my list:
1. Spacers/Shackles
2. Redrill trackbar mount or use a trackbar relocation bracket?
3. Straighten front brakelines.
4. Extend rear brakelines (Not sure how I'm going to do this yet)
5. LCA's - Do I need longer ones or can I just cut off part of the spring perch where they hit?
6. Disco's
7. Lengthen bumpstops F/R (By how Much?)

Did I forget anything, suggestions on doing this?

BTW I already have a SYE + driveshaft and 4 degree shims installed.

I ideally want a solid lift without spending a ton of dough.
I'm kinda leaning to get new LCA's and am still wondering if I need to invest in a new adj. trackbar? Other than that, I think i'll have everything that comes in those kits.

Well, many have tried to go cheap. It works for awhile. The you break something or you can't get your Jeep aligned right and then you have DW.

I would put the money into the Adj Trakbar, preferably the HD ones. I have Rusty's and when I was at 4.5" the TRE style served me well.

If your trying to go cheap, at least try finding used parts. LCA's and Trackbar's really don't wear out, except for the bushings but you may get lucky. Watch ebay and the classifieds, post on the want ads or your local chapter. Most likely someone has old junk just sitting in there garage collecting dust.

Goodluck

Not neccessarily looking to go cheap here - just want to know what I should have and what I need to plan for ahead of time budget wise. I'm pretty much sold on getting a good adj. trackbar and some LCA's. Discos will be installed soon. Anything else you guys can think of?
Thanks,
Kyle

a couple of comments.

You can use your stock control arms for a while, nothing wrong with them at 4.5" of lift except for strength (I have been running mine for quite a while now). You can even get away with out the TB also if you want, at least for a while again. Just plan on buying both on the next go around.

However, I do not think you can get away without new longer break lines. Personally I would spend the money on SS breaklines and wait on the LCA's. Also, you can get buy with the e-break cable at 4.5" of lift also (I am still useing the stock on and it is long enough, a friend of mine also has stock on 6").

So my list in order of priority would be this:
Spacers/Shackles
Breaklines
Shocks
TB
CA's

Michael

XJCHUCK........Sweet deal on the E-Brake set-up.....they dont tell
ya about that when ya buy the lift...........glad I ran across this, Ill
set it up alil different , but thanks for that insite!

Back