• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick wiper question

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I did a search and think I found my answer but want to be sure. I read about a replacement bushing kit 49445 that sounds like the ticket. My wipers go too far each way; they slap the hood and they slap the drivers side. Will this kit help or do I have some other problem? (wiper related that is:D )
Thanks,
T

Yes, they are in the HELP! line of parts from MotorMite, and can be bought at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, or Advance Auto. (I assume for the westerners that Shucks/Kragan also will have them.

Price is all over the map. I've seen the same blister pack priced at $3.99 all the way up to $9.99. Pep Boys used to charge twice what Auto Zone did for this part -- now Pep Boys is cheaper.

To install you have to remove the wiper arms, remove the cowel cover, take out the wiper motor and linkage, pop off the old bushings and pop in the new. There are six bushings in the kit, 3 each of two types. Dunno why -- you only use the three small ones, and I see nothing anywhere on the vehicle that resembles the large ones.

Back of the blister pack says it fits 97 - 2000 XJ but it worked fine in my '88 MJ.

Instructions

Originally posted by sdj02

0. remove the negative battery terminal - just to be safe.
1. Pull off the wiper arms
2. Remove the body panel thing that's over the motor and linkage. It's four or so screws on each side as I recall.
3. Pop the hood and remove the screws that hold the linkage / motor in. They are along the back firewall of the engine compartment in the top middle.
4. Unplug the motor.
5. Push the nubs down that the wiper arms attach too and wrestle the whole bastard out. Pay attention to how it goes in, lest you forget when you have to put it back in...
6. Get the 3 bushings you'll need out of the help package and remove and replace the bushings one at a time, taking care not to mix up the way all the parts fit together. Trust me on this, I wasn't quite paying attention and almost screwed up how they all go back together. A little grease will help the bushing slide back in and rotate freely.
7. Wrestle that whole assembly back in - the biggest pain in the but of the whole job.
8. Re-attach the assembly to the firewall, and the plug to the motor and the negative battery terminal.
9. Put the cover back on, reattach your wipers, wet the windshield and try them out!
10. Pat yourself on the back and wonder why you didn't do this easy job much, much sooner.

sdj02 forgot a couple of steps:

11. Remove wiper arms from posts, adjust orientation, reattach.

12. Re-wet windshield, try again.

13. Repeat steps 11 and 12.

14. Repeat steps 11 and 12.

Back