• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q's and A's about Detroit truetrac!

98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I want to avoid future breakage of front hubs on my XJ by switching to LSD (torsen type). Thus my question is, how well does Toresn type LSD work in a front axle? Rear 8.25 has Noslip in it. What is bias ratio, which one should I choose lower or higher ratio?
Thanks!

I'm guessing that what you are referring to as a torsen type LSD is the Truetrac. I had one for a couple years and it was great on the street. I never noticed it unless I was on ice or snow and then it helped a lot. If you do any moderate to hard core wheeling, it is not as effective as a real locker. You can make it slip a lot less by braking a little. It takes a little practice. I would guess that it would be less harsh on those weak hub conversions than a real locker.
I saw the limitations of the D 30 setup a while ago and went to a D 44 with locking hubs, CTM's and a Detroit. You may want to consider the same if you like locking hubs, are running 33's (Truetrac not recommended for over 31s) and you're breaking what you currently have. It's a big expense at first, but will likely save you money in the long run. Also, breaking on the trail in my opinion, sucks.
Hope this helps
mattk

85Runner said:
I wouldn't do LSD in the front because it will significanly effect the jeeps ability to pull itself over rocks. IMO axle upgrades are a better choice.

Thats makes absolutely "ZERO" sense!!!!

Anyway the bias ratio's are typically around 3-4 to 1,Ive never seen it as an option in the same model carrier.

I have a Detroit TT in front and Dana Trac Lok in the rear 8.25. I like the setup a lot. Like Mattk said, it works great in slippery conditions, loose gravel/dirt and on the street. I use it for moderate wheeling, not rockcrawling, so I'm really happy with it. I'd put one in the rear 8.25 if they made them.

85Runner said:
I wouldn't do LSD in the front because it will significanly effect the jeeps ability to pull itself over rocks. IMO axle upgrades are a better choice.
I dunno! I've had pretty good luck with my front & rear TrueTracs. :)
standard.jpg

They've pulled me over plenty of rocks in the last 3 years or so. Sometimes I do need to tap the brake to lock it up when a tire is airborne, though. No biggie, you just don't want to do any hardcore 'wheeling with this setup.

I'd say you get by pretty well, Handlebars. It just shows what can be done with a good driver!
I have a Torsen-Gleason in the front of mine, and it works great on and off-road. BUT if I had manual hubs, I think I'd go with a full locker. There's no reason not to, IMO.

Thanks....but lots of mistery is still out there!

The reason I want to switch to LSD up front is because I have broken lockout hub. Who had that type of brakeage will know! It is not hard to replace even on a trail, but I dont want to replace anyting...on the trail (don't ming in my garage).
Has anyone had experience with Truetrac and stick shift ?(I got manual throttle handle on the stick) so I can use both brake and clutch pedals simultaneously...
Has anyone had Truetrac faliure with tieres bigger that 31(I am talking 33's here)?
I know how it works (have driven military HUMVEE's ), just wanted to know pros and cons having LSD in a front axle!
Thanks you all!

I've run a TrueTrac with 33's for over 3 years without a breakage. I will say there are times I wish I were fully locked up front. IMHO, the TrueTrac gives up performance as the tires get larger but it's still better than being open.
I went with the TT because I run the NP242 and keep it in Full-Time most of the time on the street, auto-lockers would be unbearable in this situation.

If I were doing things over, I would go with a selectable locker. The best would be the TrueTrac electric lock if it becomes available and can deal with the big tires.

Bones :skull1:

HGwhlstdrefinedsm-vi.jpg

I've had 33's for the whole time that I have had the TrueTracs. The D44 TT blew up about 3 months after installation. Drivetrain Direct warranteed it despite saying that I shouldn't use it with anything larger that 31's. They even said they would even credit the cost of the TT towards a Detroit Locker, but I didn't want a locker. The breakage looked like a manufacturer's defect, the snap ring that retained one of the side gears popped out allowing the side gear to come of the case, grinding a nice groove around the inside of the axle housing. I was able to drive it off the trail and the 200 miles home.

Yes, I have a stick shift also. Sometimes I wish for 3 feet in order to get the diff to lock up. I don't have a hand throttle so on very rare occasions it can be kind of a PITA. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to get up on this:

standard.jpg

Handlebars said:
I dunno! I've had pretty good luck with my front & rear TrueTracs. :)
standard.jpg

They've pulled me over plenty of rocks in the last 3 years or so. Sometimes I do need to tap the brake to lock it up when a tire is airborne, though. No biggie, you just don't want to do any hardcore 'wheeling with this setup.
Hi,

What do you call this kind of a place ?
Do you have any more pictures of how your truetracs served you ?

I've got almost the same XJ, 96 2 door 4wd 5 speed. I am thinking about upgrading open differentials to something. The choice for the rear one is truetrac so far, the front one is an open question still.

Another Truetrac owner on 33's. I agree with Handlebars and Bonesabout sometimes wanting a locker up front, but I have rarely needed it.

John

Planetcat said:
I have a Detroit TT in front and Dana Trac Lok in the rear 8.25. I like the setup a lot. Like Mattk said, it works great in slippery conditions, loose gravel/dirt and on the street. I use it for moderate wheeling, not rockcrawling, so I'm really happy with it. I'd put one in the rear 8.25 if they made them.

Since this thread has been brought back up to the top; I figured I'd throw this in there. They now make a TT for the 29 Spline 8.25.............:lecture:

Back