• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a Dana 60 rear from Jeep pickup fit XJ?

If you look hard enough in junkyards you can find D44's in 87-89 XJs that said the've been spotted in other years. Look for Up Country vehicles. They'll bolt right in. If you've got a D35 now grab the rear driveshaft while your back there.

anything will fit in anything. it all just depends on how much work you want to do. do you have a more specific question? bolt pattern? width? ds/axle u-joint compatability? etc, etc.

matthew

Specifically would like to know all of above

I've found a lot and read up on the 8.8 and 9 inch axle swaps, but I haven't seen much on the axles I listed. I need to know what it will take to get these Jeep axles to work on the Cherokee.

Thanks in advance for your info.

try a search

Up Country and trim level in general had nothing to do with teh D44 option....if you bought the towing package, you we a happy camper...or the Metric Tonne package in the MJ

On a TJ 44, (the only one worth getting), you'll have to torch off all the coil spring bracketry and weld on spring perches and shock mounts.

The width is a touch over 60", and the bolt pattern is correct.

YJ's never came with a 44, ZJ 44's are made out of aluminum, and CJ 44's are too narrow and have the wrong bolt pattern.

All 1987 Cherokees with a 4.0 liter engine came with a Dana 44. (to the best of my knowledge.)

CRASH

what makes a tj dana 44 better than an xj. not getting on your case, just curious

Nothing. Of the OTHER options given, the TJ is the best. The XJ and the TJ are substantively the same, the XJ is just a hell of a lot easier to install, so it would be the best of all.

CRASH

CRASH said:
On a TJ 44, (the only one worth getting), you'll have to torch off all the coil spring bracketry and weld on spring perches and shock mounts.

The width is a touch over 60", and the bolt pattern is correct.

YJ's never came with a 44, ZJ 44's are made out of aluminum, and CJ 44's are too narrow and have the wrong bolt pattern.

All 1987 Cherokees with a 4.0 liter engine came with a Dana 44. (to the best of my knowledge.)

CRASH

Crash's other comments on this topic are correct, but NOT all '87 4.0L XJs came with Dana 44 rear axles. It was most of the ones with the factory tow package, and most of the XJ Wagoneers -- definitely not all.

I have an '87 XJ parts heap here that doesn't have a Dana 44 axle. It's a 4.0L automatic, w/o tow package.

Let me refine for Eagle.

Goatman and I have never seen a California spec 1987 Cherokee without a Dana 44 rear axle. They seem to have all had them in this state.

I'm not going to bet anything on this, 'cause AMC has done some weird shiit over the years, but I'm failry confident.

CRASH

And I have yet to see a D44 in any Xj that was not swapped in.....

They are minimal around here. And I have an origial 88 sales brochier and they do not mention a heavy duty axle at all. I do however have a recall that list vins for Xj's that were supose to have the D44 but did not get them. 87 By the way. I think it was Eagle who also agreed with me that it is posiable that the only year that had D44's from the factory was the 87. Just my .02

I got my 44 out of am 88, and the other one i got was from an 89

the two i got were from 87's :moon:

mine came out of a 89 and went into a 89, not that it matters. Just thought I would add to the discussion.

-Scott

Just to add

All you guy's are forgetting about the MJ metric ton 44. I should know because I have a Dana 44 that came out of a MJ.

Joe

Oh yeah, well you're forgetting about the metric tonne AMC 20's that came on 86 MJ's. :)

CRASH

CRASH said:
Oh yeah, well you're forgetting about the metric tonne AMC 20's that came on 86 MJ's. :)

CRASH

Ive never seen one of those, I know they exist, and mjs are rare in the yard, but still, id like to see one some day :D

Wagoneer Dana 44

Does this bolt up without too much muss and fuss?

I didn't hear about the Jeep pickup Dana 60 yet either.

Back