• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockright's a poppin!

JKTXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my lockright in the rear axle for about 6 months now. It has it quirks and pops every now and again, but yesterday it popped 3 times violently and today seems fine again. I have been trying to replicate it but no go. Tested it in some mud and it's still working as well. ?? :confused: All 3 times were situations where I had just pulled out of a parking space or was taking off forward in 1st gear after pulling onto a road. One time was so bad I pulled off to see if something was broke. It's just weird that today it seems fine again. It's doing the normal "click click click" on turns, it's working, etc. Those with Lockrights, what's your take? Was it just having a bad day?? :rolleyes:

Did you use the stock cross shaft? If it's starts building a groove it might cause it to hang a little.

I would change the lube and do a visual. Probably pull the c-clips and the locker at the same time.

Couldn't hurt. Might be loosing something else in that 35. :)

Lincoln

Actually, it came with a new cross shaft. I'll pop the cover this weekend and see if everything looks OK. And hey, this D35 has held up for 3 years now!! ;)

What happened is normal, I wouldn't worry about it if there are no other symptoms. The loud popping is actually from it working, rather than from it not working. The locker engages with dog teeth on the side gears, and if some power is applied putting pressure on the locker and the dog teeth are not meshed it will make a loud pop as the teeth slam into place......just like it is supposed to.

Yeah, I wasn't too worried till it happened a bunch of times in a short stretch of time, and more violently than in past. But it sounds like it's just par for the course so I won't worry about it. Thanks all!
JP

As I'm sure you are aware, the the inside and outside wheels rotate at different speeds in a turn. This causes the locker to disengage. As you complete the turn, the rotational speed of the wheels equalize and the locker engages. How hard it engages depends on how much torque is being applied to the differential at the time. Try to ease up on the gas as you straighten from a turn.

RR3

Seems normal to me...I installed my lockright last week when it was around 40* or so. Today it is 78* and it much quiter then this time last week. Id change the gear oil and see if that helps any (thicker). But it seems fine from what you have said.

TOEHEAD

Yeah, I fully understand how it works. The occasional popping has been happening since day one and it was as I would expect for a locker behind a 5sp. I have completely gotten used to how it drives in the past 6 months, but out of the blue it just had a few violent episodes that got me worried something was going awry. I drove it again today and everything is fine though, just the usual minor clunks and pops. As for gear oil, I did go with heavy stuff on that right from the get go per the Powertrax manual. Maybe that's the prob in fact... it's getting cold here now and perhaps that's what caused the violent pops. I'll throw in some lighter stuff this weekend after I look inside the diff. Thanks again for the insights.
JP

It cant be worse then my old model detroit (not softlocker) in my D44. That thing clunks and clicks and pops all the time. Then again I do not drive it like a grandma, so I am sure that has something to do with it.

I am going to be putting a lockright in the front next month. I hope it works out well.

-Scott

Check to see if the shear pins are still intact. I have seen the shear pins break and make all kinds of noise. The locker still worked....

AARON

It is a locker. If you wanted streetablility you should go with limited slip. Lockers are lockers.

Curt

h.curtis said:
It is a locker. If you wanted streetablility you should go with limited slip. Lockers are lockers.

Curt

Well, I actually have no problem with the way it drives and understand the tradeoffs of having a locker. I was posing a question regarding something that seemed different from how it had been behaving from the prior 6 months I've been driving it. Thanks though.

Hey Phat, one day I'll explain to you viscosity :D :D Lincoln, you can listen in... but I'm sure it's way beyond what you can comprehend. I'll try to keep it simple.... ;) :D

Back