• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Searched rock rails, still undecided.

poomba

NAXJA Forum User
Tube or boxed? 2x2 or 2x4? Looking at Quadratec catalog, they've got 2x4" for my '89, at $249.95. I don't wanna go wrong, costwise vs quality, funds are limited. (boy, bet no one's ever said that here before :rolleyes: ) Seems..and I don't know for sure..but seems, the 2x4 would offer a little more protection? Boxed or tube stronger, or is it merely cosmetic?

(2003 Holiday Edition Essentials For Jeep Cherokee, Quadratec catalog, page 16). I'm trying to single-handedly lift us out of recession, so if these are made in China, don't burst my bubble.:patriot:

mgt said:
Spend a little more and get really good ones (ORGS supernerf's) they are worth it.

In what way..looking 'em up now, but I can't tell a lot by a picture, I usually have to drop something on my foot before it sinks in...

Hi, I have the RRO steprails and couldn't be happier. I have lifted my xj right up onto 2 wheels with a hilift under them, with no problems.

I have AJ's They were $145 All I had to do was paint em myself. By fare the best value I found. They are very stout (3/16" wall tubing). I have also hi-lifted my XJ up on to two wheels with them. I rustoleumed them with 2 coats, all it took was one can and it makes for easy touchup.

John

Try http://www.hansonenterprise.com/. He makes awesome custom fab bumpers and body armour.

Also, Off Your Rocker Panels at 650-726-3008. Small shop, lots of custom stuff. Really into jeep armour.

All hand made and custom fab'd in the good old USA.

As long as were on it. Im starten to sell these for 200.00 unpainted.
5.jpg

Let me know if I can help.

Just make sure you check out AJ's page.

www.ajsoffroadarmor.com

I just put my order in for a set of his 2x4 3/16" wall rails. It came to $249 shipped. I have seen his work and it is really great quality. Also check out the ORGS rails, they are very nice, but a little more $$$. I picked AJ's because they are just as strong as the strongest, but priced much cheaper because he makes them all himself. He also makes some of the best custom bumpers around.

-Scott

I just installed some Rockrails made by Firegod33. They are by far the beefiest rails that I have ever installed and used. They mount a lot like the Rocky Road rails but are much burlier. I would pm him bout the price. Not sure what shipping would be on them. I paid round $200 for them and they are the best investment I've made.

Art

The outside tube is made from 1.25" x .140 wall pipe (1 5/8"OD). The lower tube is made of 2" x 2"- 3/16" square tubing. The attachment points are at the pinch weld (in two places) and the frame (two on each side).
All i know is they are as strong as hell.

ORGS SUPER NERFS are the bomb!!!! Waaaay strong, easy to install and they look great too!!! (Sounds like frosted flakes huh???)

Flexy

Re: rails

Shanbo44 said:
here look at my rails, I can have my buddy make them for $250

Can your buddy mandrel bend 2" tubing? I'm looking for a shop to bend some tubing for a front bumper that I want to build.

Re: Worth the extra cost?

poomba said:
Looking at AJ's ultimate 2x4 rock rails..they offer one with a support leg in the middle, for an increase from 200 to 230 bucks..does it make that much diff?

It would obviously be stronger. That said, Ive never seen any rockrail break off. As long as Its tied into the pinch seam.

My .02

Any decent rockrail will tie into the pinch seam and the "Uniframe". The legs to the uniframe really only stablize the mounts at the pinch seam to prevent them from piveting at the pinch seam as viewed from the front/rear. The pinch seam takes the brunt of the forces. An example is a buddy of mine that went to tellico with me. He built is rails and ran out of time/material before he got the "legs" to the uniframe done, they only mounted to the pinch seam. Needless to say after each heavy contact, we were realigning his rails and checking out the contack they were making with his rockers. The only difference between his and mine was that mine attached to the unframe and pinch seam (9 bolts through the pinch seam and 8 self tappers per leg).
So, a well designed rail will be of material thick enough to withstand a good wack, and it will tie into the pinch seam and uniframe, after that, it's just about looks.

Our Rock Rails are designed to offer you the maximum protection without adding a lot of unneeded weight or emptying your pocket book! Both our Cherokee and Liberty rockrails feature a full length pinch seam mount that is tied into both the rockrail itself and the frame rail mounts front and rear. This mounting system is a proven design that handles both vertical and lateral stresses better than most other setups.

Ultimate 2x4 Rockrails, same construction as the Standard 2x4 but with the addition of an extra leg in the middle running to the frame rail. 15 mounting points per rockrail with this design. End of quote from AJ's.
The 3/16's are $230, 1/8 are $210. Kay, will order the 3/16ths. Thanks guys.

Back