• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake upgrades

what are the best all around tire

• BFG MT

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Goodyear MT/R

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Procomp

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Swamper radials

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy forbes

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 89 (without abs) that needs better brakes. i have replaced my calipers, pads and master cylinder but the petal still is spongie. i was wondering what else i could do
thanks

if the pedal's still spongy, have you flushed out all your old brake fluid? are your brake hoses in good shape?

I swapped the MC/booster/prop valve from a 95 into my 89, and the braking difference was like night and day.

Vote #2 for the 95 double booster - worked for me...

Replaced all my ABS stuff and the difference was amazing even with 38's

On the poll you forgot to put TSL SX's - bias ply rules! :D

Matt

89 brakes - spongy?

89 brakes should not be spongy - they won't stop very quickly but pedal should be hard. You don't mention anything about rear brake work? did you install new shoes, wheel cylinders, etc? (and manually adjust the (so called self adjusters)?

Once all that is working; replace the brake hoses (2 front, 1 rear)
with new rubber or(better - SS replacements) and fill with Valvoline Synthetic - exceeds Dot 3 & 4 - brake fluid. This is the biggest improvement in stopping an older XJ.

Only then consider a later brake booster/MC setup.
With carbon fiber pads an XJ will stop in 152' from 60 MPH without changing the booster.

the only brake part that is not new is the rear brake line and the hydro booster. does that brake fluid really make that big of a differnce?
thanks

I tried a larger master (1 1/16) and couldnt tell any diffrence. pedal still botoms out.

Brake fluid & rear line

The rear line should be changed if its 15 years old - they baloon and reduce the pressure that should get to the wheel cylinders. Replacing the front lines on my 89 reduced the stopping distance by 43 feet from 60 MPH.

The advantace of the brake fluid is the 500 degree boiling point as opposed to 265? for Dot 3 & 4 and it costs 4.95 instead of $2.95 for the cheap stuff.

Does it matter if you use the proportioning valve from the 95 or the 89. I am going to get the parts today and was curious if there really was a difference.

LT1XJ said:
Does it matter if you use the proportioning valve from the 95 or the 89. I am going to get the parts today and was curious if there really was a difference.

they look the same to me

89 or 95?

They are aparently the same - people have used either with same results. Plumbing the brake lines to the bottom of the valve (keeping the 95 valve to MC lines intact) means that you are only using 3/16 lines and fittings and unions - available almost everywhere. Not so on the MC side - 2 different adapters are required and not easy to find in some locations.

Okay, I'm confused. Why does a thread/poll entitled "Brake Upgrades" start with a poll asking about the best all-around tire -- which poll doesn't include any number of tires that would be legitimate contenders for best all-around tire?

Eagle said:
Okay, I'm confused. Why does a thread/poll entitled "Brake Upgrades" start with a poll asking about the best all-around tire -- which poll doesn't include any number of tires that would be legitimate contenders for best all-around tire?

x2

But I still voted. :wave:

Best all around brake upgrade...Ford 8.8, 95 or newer

You just can't beat disc brakes. the additional axle strength is just a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back