• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Might Order Some Goodies Today - Feedback on List

FitchVA

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I might start building up my XJ very soon. After reading all the threads about the first things to do to get the XJ offroad ready, I am gonna go get me some armor :D

Here's what I'm looking at getting:
SkidRow Engine/Transmission Skid Plate ($225)
SkidRow Transfer Case Skid Plate ($100)
SkidRow Gas Tank Skid Plate ($175)
Custom 4x4 Double-tube XJ rocker guards ($245)
Custom 4x4 XJ tow hook brackets ($75)
CROK Steering Box Frame Plates ($75)
HiddenHitch reciever hitch (?)
Nut strip for gas skid (?)

how does all that sound? i know i don't absolutely have to have the engine skid, but where i'm at stock height, i'd feel safer with it. oh, and i included the prices direct from the manuf. pages. if you know of a cheaper place off the top of your head, lemme know please. thanx in advance.

oooooh, one other thing, i've got a 98 sport with NO oem gas skid reciever hitch. will i need to buy nut strips for both sides? i thought i read somewhere that the 97+'s have the nutstrips stock on the passenger side. thanks.

sorry for long post

I'd sub in the ORGS crossmember t-case skid, very stout.

The OEM 97+ gas skids are very stout, and much cheaper than the SkidRow piece. Not saying SR's is bad, but you could save yourself some money going OEM from a junkyard.

CRASH

DAYUM thats a lot of nice armor. At least you're doing it right. I agree w/ crash about the factory gas tank skid, its very stout and at most like 50$ from the junkyard or ebay. I just have the factory tcase skid and ive smashed into it so hard that the Xmember bent. The skid was fine, but getting a new xmember was a pain. I would look at the ORGS intergrated unit, or buy Rusty's HD crossmember and his skid.
If you're at stock height, im assuming you arent running very big tires, why do you need the Crock brace. Not that its not a nice unit and all, but it seems unnecessary w/smaller tires.
Also, if you buy a hitch, they usually come with nut strips.

i agree w/ crash. ORGS has some tough stuff. Id rather buy from them than skid row. http://www.dc4wd.com/ sells ORGS and hes in roanoke. if you need some rocker protection ive got some in Lynchburg that I can set you up with over T-giving if you want to hold out. Here is a link to what they look like and how to install them. Hit me back channel if interested. http://members.tripod.com/Jeep_n_John/rockerskids/rockerskids.htm
rs3.jpg

Hunter

I recommend doing business with DC - He's a great guy and a lot of help.

-Brian

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
i agree w/ crash. ORGS has some tough stuff. Id rather buy from them than skid row. http://www.dc4wd.com/ sells ORGS and hes in roanoke. if you need some rocker protection ive got some in Lynchburg that I can set you up with over T-giving if you want to hold out. Here is a link to what they look like and how to install them. Hit me back channel if interested. http://members.tripod.com/Jeep_n_John/rockerskids/rockerskids.htm
rs3.jpg

Hunter

thanks for all of the replies. yeah, looking at the list so far...it does seem like a lot of stuff doesn't it? lol. and after the realization that my truck's ins. $ is due this month, i might ... correction...will trim down the list of armor.

i like the looks of the ORGS tcase skid. but for $300, i'll definitly have to get something more along the lines of an OEM skid. just gotta find one of them now ;)

as for the c-rok plate that i was looking at, i just figured that it would be good to have that there in case i needed to get pulled out of a bad spot. i thought some of those forces might crack the steering box if hard enough.

and thanks for the link to dc4wd.com guys. i'd never heard of them.

hunter, lemme think about the rockers. gotta redo the xj budget after forgetting about insurance ;)

thanks for all of the imput guys

i have Tomkin gastank, tansfercase, and transmission/oilpan skids, i like the way they bolt up, also the pass. side nutstrip is there for holding the heat shield in place not on driver side.
http://www.tomken.com/
the best price i have found is at
http://www.quadratec.com/

All sounds good, however, I would substitute the CROCK plate for the new plate setup that ORGS MFG has....Ask mark, I am sure he has some pictures of it.....It is waaaaaay stout......

Flexy

I wouldn't be too concerned about an engine/ tranny skid either. Only once have I ever hit my tranny pan and it was a truly freak incident. I don't know about the skidrow stuff, but you definately can't go wrong with the ORGS gear.

Sean

ok, here's my revised list...

OEM Gas Tank Skid
Nut strip for gas skid
ORGS Manuf"HD" CROSS MEMBER
Custom 4x4 XJ tow hook brackets
HiddenHitch reciever hitch

as for the rocker guards, i'm still debating the C4x4's, AJ's SuperNerfs, or those that Hunter posted.

but i am planning on installing all this stuff on my christmas vacation. so i've still got a little time to decide.

I just placed my order for AJ's 2x4 rockers. Cant really go wrong with anything that guys putting out. I opted for the 3/16th in wall thickness as well. If you are thinking about going with any of AJ's rails you may want to shoot him over an email to check out what kind of back order he has right now. When I inquired a week or so back he said he was about 3 weeks behind where he wanted to be, so you may want to order now if you want to install by X-mas.

I was looking at ORGS parts but opted for AJ's. I am going to also be having him make my front bumper as well. It will go very nicely with my C4x4 rear bumper.

I have a skid row TC skid sitting in my garage right now. It is a very stout unit. I plan on installing it sometime soon, I could put up some pictures if you are interested.<shameless-plug> You can check Jeepin.com for prices on some of the skidrow gear, he has the best prices around. </shameless-plug>

-Scott

Fitch, just thought I'd add one thing. If you go with the ORGS steering reinforcements, they also double as tow hook brackets. Might save a little money that way. I know they're weld on, but finding someone to do the welding shouldn't be TOO hard, maybe even DC could do it. HTH

Ary

Sounds like what Im doing, keeping it unlifted and protecting the belly. You may be able to find a hitch at a junk yard (while searching for a tank skid). Mine from my '92 fit my '01 and you'll find yer nut strip. xjnation may have a package deal, someone I was wheelin' with this weekend said he had one with tank skid/ rocker guard deal.

Back