• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turn signal lights

xjfanatc

NAXJA Forum User
I have both an 86 xj and an 87 and I seem to have the same problem on each. When I turn my headlights on the turnsignal lights in the dash comes on. The front parking lights(not the side lights the ones under the headlights) do not work. The work with the turn signal/4-ways. I thought this was just a problem with my 86 until it happened on my 87 as well. The bulbs are good and I have cleaned the sockets. Anyone fixed this problem? It is not an issue other than it bothers me to see those lights on the dash lol. Thanks

YO! My drivers front did that......

Check the grounds and the headlight switch. Also the headlight harness. Incedently I have heard of this happening to a good bit b4. Oh and I never could get mine to stay on......

I have that on my '88 MJ right now. The left turn indicator glows. Looking from outside, the left parking light is dimmer than the right. That means there's a bad ground for the parking light(s), and it's back-feeding through the turn signal filament looking for a ground.

Under the air box there's a multi-wire connector. Take that apart and clean all the contacts. I'm sure that's where the problem is on mine, just haven't had time to make the fix.

Same here. Now I know where to start. Has anyone noticed it goes away in rainy weather - then comes back when things dry out? Always gets my hopes up.

I have a 95 XJ so I don't know if the wiring is the same, but I had the same problem. After I replaced the bulbs it went away.

Also, some of the orange coating on the front turn signal bulb had like melted or something and gotten into the base of the connector so I had to clean that out too. Hope this helps

Same here on my '87 . . . the problem didn't go away until I replaced all 4 sockets. Relatively easy and cheap - I bought generic sockets from the local Ace Hardware (I think they were labeled as GM style, but I'm not sure).

As a previous post suggested, I believe that the odd glow on the dash is caused by the electricity seeking a better ground.

A little food for thought.... I recently had the same problem with mine, right signal operated ok, left did not work at all, when I signaled left with the headlights off, I would just get a glow, If I turned the headlights on, the indicator would glow constantly. I checked grounds and cleaned everything up looked at the bulbs and checked the sockets, one socket had a bad ground contact so I replaced it, I then put the bulb back in and tried it out, still the same prob. What ended up happening was that the signal filament had broken and was touching on the running light filament of the bulb, allowing electrical feedback to the indicator light. I replaced all bulbs up front and it has worked perfectly since.

It usually is a bad ground in the turn signal socket. It is a ford style three wire socket available from autozone for about $5. Greg

Also, if your flasher is bad, it will do that. I spent a while tracking the same thing down and replaced one of the flashers, both were bad. Definately worth a shot.
Dustin

turn signal problem,when turning on left blikner, right blinker blinks also,does this just in the back,some times it works fine, sometimes it doesn't.i have an 88 cherrokee 4.0 no toe lights attached. p.s how do i swap out blinker box? do i have to remove the whole fuse block? or is there a simple way? any help, thank you.

The ground in the turn signal socket, especially on the front, goes bad in the socket itself. I had this on my 87, 89 & 90. All I did was run a ground wire from the metal tang that touches the side of the base of the bulb to a good ground (remember the header panel is fiberglass) or just change the socket.

I've been having an issue and found this thread via search....anyone recently experience this issue and what did you do to fix it?

In my 89 XJ, when you turn the head lights on the signal indicators stay on. All my turn signals work, signal L or R, and the indicators blink like they should, cancel signal and they stay on constantly. I've already replaced all bulbs/headlights in the front and rear.

I also have no clicky noise when signaling...replace flasher in the fuse block? Bad socket? Ground issue? How do I check for a bad socket or ground?

most common solution involves correcting the grounds at the front running lamp/turn signal sockets. A quick check can be done by attaching a jumper wire to each socket and a known ground to determine if the dash lights go out.

if that doesn't help, pull the air filter box and clean up the multi-wire plug under it. It has all the circuits for the headlamp and turn signals in it.

Back