• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non-tilt steering column schematic

gman

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to know if someone could provide me with a schematic for the little parts inside a steering column. I need to replace the rack inside the steering column but without the schematic I am running into problems. I would appreciate any and all assistance offered.

Rack?

Could you explain? There is no rack in an XJ steering column that I'm aware of.

non-tilt steering column - Re: (Eagle)

At first over the last 2 months I was having a difficult time getting the key to start the jeep. 4.0 L 1989. Eventually it would not turn over at all. I bought an ignition tumbler, replaced this and then realized that this didn't correct the problem. When I discussed this with my friend the mechanic and the local parts person. They both told me there is a little piece in the steering column that has teeth on it, it's called a ract it's about less than a 1\2 inch wide and about 4 inches long, with one of the edges, having ridges on it, it was listed to me as part #25 in the steering column parts scheme. I was told that this piece is engaged when the ignition is turned on, but because of the damaged teeth on this piece the rack the key is not able to turn over..

Never heard of it -- guess I'll have to look in the FSM.

The tumbler connects by a rod to the actual ignition switch, which is mounted lower down on the steering column. The usual problem is either that the rod isn't adjusted correctly, or the switch itself has overheated and meleted. Have you examined the switch to confirm that it's A-okay?

Hi Guys,

I had a very similar problem that you are describing gman. In my problem, it was the ignition switch. Exactly what eagle stated, the switch had melted on a couple of the runs in it. It was so bad that it melted the plastic on the outside of the runs. At first, the Jeep would start and then when I let go of the key it would shut off. Then the problem got worse and I could not start it at all. Swapped the unit out, BTW PITA. Jeep did not want "you" to replace that part they put pins in the star bolts so you could not get the tool in it. Just break them off with a small flathead screwdriver. Also, if you have an airbag, PLEASE make sure that you know how to disable it and remove it before attempting to replace the bad part.

Alex

Do you want a schematic or a parts breakdown?

Had the same problem, just changed the ignition switch on the colunm and fixed the problem. For ease of maintenance lower the column by removing the support bolts (two ea). It took me roughly 30-45 minutes once i had all my parts and tools gathered. the job was in both my chilton and haynes manuals. Just for info. I think the switch cost me like 10.00 at auto zone. Good luck and if you have problems feel free to e-mail me @ [email protected]

Back