• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 problems

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm currently experiencing three problems on my '92 4.0 limited xj that may or may not be related, but all need to be fixed. First and foremost, there is an awful squeaking noise that's coming from the very front of the engine compartment. It sounds exactly like a loose drivebelt, but the drivebelt is tight and in perfect condition. 2nd, the water bottle keeps emptying itself, which always scares the hell outa me when the check engine light comes on because of it. 3rd, i'm leaking coolant, but it's not a constant leak, it only happens once every couple of weeks (at least as far as i can tell). And it doesnt entirely drain the system. I havent had any problems with heat, and i do drive this car hard. Any info would be appreciated, even wild guesses. Thanks!

OK, I'll take a stab...:)
The noise is probably the bearing in the idler pulley. I had mine go bad at about 100K miles. It's about $25 and 15 minutes to replace.
The other problems could be a bad water pump, which will also squeek when it goes bad.
All 3 COULD be connected...:confused:

Gotta agree with Bill on that one, the idler bearing is not an uncomon problem. BUT, if you have blown the seal on the water pump shaft causing it to weep, it coould also clean out the bearing on the shaft and cause it to squeek. I would determine exactly where your leak is starting from and go from there. If its coming from the little hole in the front of the water pump, change the pump, good idea to change that belt too while your there, if money isnt a concern at the time, change that damn idler bearing too, much easier to do it all at the same time than be frustrated after a wp swap when you still have a squeek ;)

Back