• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper mounts for clevis attachment

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I was considering fabing up some mounts for clevises that used the rear bumper mounts for attachment and then extending them through the factory bumper. Does this sound like a good/safe/strong enough idea? Has anyone done anything like this before.

i used 1/4X2X10 flat and welded a Big daddy's D-ring holder to it and mounted it to the frame rail at the hitch then thru my bumper all welded together.
http://bigdaddyoffroad.com

Do either of you two have pictures so i can get a better idea and possibly improve my design. Thanks, NICK

not the best pixs
0.jpg

1.jpg

Excuse me but your bumper seems a little wide

:eek:That thing has hips like my ex girlfriend:eek:

Just how far does your rear bumper stick out on the side?

Kevin

the same as factory bumper, it has 2X2 like the front one to protect the sides and give a place to jack from.

Do you have a trailer hitch on your Jeep? I had the biggest hitch you could get installed, cause I had a buddy that worked at U-haul, paid for a class 1 and got the big boy instead, but, if you do, I used the Warn reciever plug and clevis. That thing is more than strong enough and only runs about $45. Just an idea to throw out.

Here is what I was thinking about doing for a front bumper... take the 1/4 steel plate frame mount and punch it all the way through the bumper welded on both sides. Then weld more 1/4 inch plate through the bumper only not attach it to the frame. I will space these two protruding pieces of 1/4 plate at the same width as the inside of the D ring. I think this will work well as there will be a solid piece of steel between the tow point and the Frame.

Geoff

Back