• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving gas and break pedals

M. Lake

NAXJA Forum User
Not that I want to be the first to try it, but has anyone thought about or tried to move the pedals like the newer fords? My wife is 5' tall and sits real close the the stearing wheel (air bag). Would like to get her back a little. Something that will allow to adjust from me to her without major complocations.

Are you sure its the pedals that are the problem and not the steering wheel? The reason I ask is that I drive with my seat all the way back to make room for my legs, but in doing that I make the steering wheel a bit further away from me than I would like. Maybe she drives so close because the steering wheel is too far away? I have wanted to track down a telescopic Cadillac steering column to help rediuce this problem for myself..if its a pre airbag XJ, this might be an easy swap in sicne tehy used GM columns back then.

XJguy

She sits 6" away from wheel, with seat all the way forward. If that air bag goes off in an incident, it will really mess her up. I sit all the way back, to keep the gass pedal off the floor :D and makes it difficult to adjust the radio while driving.

It's like that with any car she drives, and I don't like to see it.

Woudn't it be kind of dangerous?? I mean the adjusting mechanism isn't that simple and if something goes wrong and suddendly your brake doesn't brake........ well... you see where I'm going with that?

What would be dangerous is her hitting the stearing wheel "before" the air bag goes off and just about kills her.

In the "good old days" we'd just go to the local discount department store (back when they had automotive departments) and buy a set of Cal Custom clamp-on peddle pads. They fit over the existing pads, had super neat-o chrome trim, and added 1/2" to 3/4" of thickness to the peddle height. That was usually enough for the shortest female drivers.

I'm sure Pep Boys or local speed shops must still have such items in the bling-bling aisle.

Back