• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 300 Complete...well, almost

MountaineerMac

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I'm finally getting around to posting the pics of the Dana 300 install in the XJ. It all started when I saw Andy's flipped 300 that's now in his MJ.
Fist of all, I want to say a big thanks to my buddies for the help. Jeeping wouldnt be as much fun without the help of friends. Thanks go to my Brother Sam, Andy at CRSU for getting me into this thing, Steve at Tarheel for the gear advice, and to my buds here in Boone that gave a hand - Ben, Kregg, Linc, and everybody else. Sorry for the lack of in progress pics, mostly due to the fact that I didn't have a digital camera available, and that we just had too much work to do.
All in all, I'm stoked about it. Lots of work went into it, and it's not easy to fit it into the XJ. If you're looking for a bolt it up, and go project, look elsewhere. I still have a fair amount of body work to do in order to patch up the floorboard/tranny tunnel. It's fairly intense, but well worth the results. First trip out on it was last Saturday, and its great. Front digs are sweet, and the 4:1 is great.
In the end, with the 32 spline output shaft, 4:1 gears, and flip kit, I have about $700 less in the project than I would if I had gone the Atlas route. The main reason - it's different, and I learned a ton, and will continue to learn through this project, as I figure out what works, and what still needs some work.

Sorry - pics are below but are in webshots

Pics Here

wow thats some serious work, nice job. i would love to have that setup and not worry about my transfer case ever again...:thumbup:

What'd you do with your 231. Im doin the same thing w. a d300 this spring but im goin pass. unfortunatly my 231 is shot so I dont even have 4wd right now. How bout helpin a local xjer out cheap. Ya know what I mean. I think I'll be up at app. Wen. anyway. I'd really like to see your install.

You might want to consider reinforcing that skid from behind so it's not a true cantilever deisgn. I tried that exact same design and every time I went out I would have to heat it up and bend it back down off of the t-case. It got old quick.

Looks good though, I dig the paint job.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll take your suggestion into
consideration Carpenter. I had to basically put it together pretty
quick - one afternoon, and a brace on the side would be a good idea.
Woodkrawler and I built the first one, and put it on his (He drew it up
and designed it, I welded) and it's holding up great so far.
csudman - I need to get some $$ out of the 231, as it has the AA SYE
with HD output shaft, and 68k on the whole thing. We can definately
talk about it, but can't give it away. Wish that I could :)
I'll be happy to get the floorboard patched up, and will be sure to
post pics when I do.

looks good Mac. Can't wait to get mine done..

Jason, No 4 low. I can wheel in my yard all day in 2wd. but thats about it. I imagine the shaft is screwed but I got the Tom Woods Short shaft kit which is basicly a hack and tap but already done. Im really lookin for a cheap xcase so I can wheel until I go d300 or atlas. Which is gonna depend on what front end I get.

Mountin Mac. Alright, how much, be easy on me. PM me

Dave,

Thanks man. Can't wait to see yours done. I worked on welding up the floorboard some tonight. Should finish it up tomorrow. :)

Can't say that I do, although it seems I know a Kim, but don't know her last name. I'll PM you about a price for the 231 and see if we can work something out :)

She goes to App. and used to date a guy on your baseball team. Dont remember the guys name. Anyway, she knows who you are. Im going up there wen. Id like to meet up and see your installation. If you can swing it.

Cool. I'll be out of class Wed. afternoon at 2pm, and would be more than happy to show you the install :) Just let me know what your plans are. I'll be heading over to High Country 4x4 tomorrow afternoon around 3:45 or so. Chris is kind enough to let me borrow the welder to fix the hole in my floorboard. :)

Back