• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Peugeot slave cylinder...pugh

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
so its now the 6th or 7th time in 70000 miles of my ownership of this '88 cherokee that the slave in this 5-speed has gone out (i've lost count). im not too excited about fixing it even though i have gone through this so many times.

I;m at school....ie..no garage...or time to change it myself. I'd love to swap it for a AX-15, but no time or money....

so the point of this thread is to find out what some of you XJ masters think could be causing these premature failures... what do yu think?

The last place i had it fixed has a lifetime waranty on the parts..so i just have to pay for labor each time.

BTW....im still kicking myself for not gettin an auto 6 years ago...but i was younger and liked the control.

Thanks

I'm with you on that - I'm honestly surprised with the longevity I get with that unitised design (I've got a buddy with a 93 Ranger set up the same way, and he goes thru about four bearings/slaves a year!)

All I can really think of is to keep the fluid clean, for some reason I'm thinking that the bearings are constantly "flushed" by the fluid. Since brake fluid is hygroscopic, it will pick up water (from humidity) and that can cause premature failure - anyone else care to comment?

Beyond that, a conversion of some sort is in the offing (that's what I plan on doing - I'd like to get my paws on a builder NV3550 and clean it up to go in one of these days...)

5-90

It could be the fluid your using.......Ive had the same problems in
the past.......Read somewhere I should only use "Castrol" brake
fluid, well.....I have'nt made that repair again since I switched!
I'm a beliver!!

jjvande said:
The last place i had it fixed has a lifetime waranty on the parts..so i just have to pay for labor each time.

That's your problem. Jeep parts don't have a lifetime warranty. The OEM hydraulics on my '88 lasted 204,000 miles. Every time this subject comes up in these forums, people report that aftermarket clutch hydraulic parts don't last.

This is one of those situations where it's worth the extra $$$ to buy a factory part.

to add to eagle's reply,
one other thing about using aftermarket clutch hydraulics is that sometimes they are not compatible betwen the different aftermarket companies. look into this: it is quite possible that your master cylinder is moving more fluid than the slave was designed to handle. it wouldn't have to be much, but just a little more could screw it up. after going through three internal slaves, i 'm convinced that the culprit was an aftermarket master. i've since gone to an external setup w/ dealer parts and have no complaints.
hope this helps,
dan f.

Dan --

Can you post part numbers, and describe the conversion? Did you convert a Peugeot, or an early AX-15?

Thanks for the heads up...

Ill call the place tomorrow and see what they used the last time it was fixed.

Is this external setup part of a swap to another tranny, or is it a modification to the peugeot?

Thanks

Yeah, that internal slave setup is the pits. I had it on my '93 with the AX-15.

My slave replacements were always Jeep parts and still failed. I got to thinking that having installed a "heavy duty" clutch may have been contributing to early failures due to the extra poundage of resistance the H.D. pressure plate added.

I swapped in parts from a '99 Wrangler to cure the problem. I took the bell housing, bearing fork and slave parts. What I didn't realize once I got started was that my tranny didn't have the correct input shaft collar to support the new throwout bearing. I had to go back and plead with the salvage guy to let me buy this piece off of his perfectly good '99 tranny. Cost me an additional $80.

I am very happy with this new setup!

Yellaheep --

So you converted an AX-15 to an AX-15. Bolt-on, since the later AX-15s came with an external slave. The Peugeot never was offered that way -- does anyone know if it can be converted to external slave?

Isn't it odd how some peps get 200,000 out of their internal slaves (me included), and others get 10,000?

There has to be more going on than luck of the draw, don't you think?

I retained the internal slave with my NV4500, and have about 100,000 on the NV. I'm just starting to seep a bit of fluid.

I'll stick with the internal when I replace it with a dealer part.

CRASH

eagle,

i swapped the early ax-15 internal system to the later ax-15 system. i found an external style bellhousing on ebay ($80) and got the proper bearing retainer from a tranny shop that does a lot of work on jeeps ($35).i also had to source a throwout fork from the dealer ($40?). i used a clutch designed for my original year, 1989, which i believe was a mistake. i now have a clutch for a '95.
for the hydraulics, i got a new, dealer, hydraulic assembly for a tj. its a one piece unit:master, hose and slave. it even came filled with fluid!! ($70?)

the hardest part of the project was finding the parts.
bellhousing $80
bearing retainer $35
throwout fork $40
clutch $130
hydraulics $70

having a reliable, serviceable clutch system: priceless

dan f.

p.s. sorry no part #s. if you really need them i can try though

Thanks, Dan.

The fact that you had to change the bearing retainer more or less tells me that this swap is not possible for the BA 10/5 tranny, because it was never offered with an external slave and thus won't have a different size bearing retainer available. Guess we Peugeot guys are stuck with the internal slave (at least until I scare up the $$$ for an NVG3550 conversion).

yeah,
i'm not sure about the peaugeot bearing retainer. maybe (not likely) there is another part from a different tranny that would work, but seems like too much trouble.
unfortunately, having the proper retainer is essential to the function of the system.

better save your milk money:rolleyes:

dan f.

Back