• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YES!! New AX5........maybe

SouSy

NAXJA Forum User
I found a AX5 in the junk yard today in a 2wd MJ and wanted to know if it would bolt up to my 2.5L XJ 4wd. Anyone know?

It should work. You'll just have to change out the tail housing on the transmission. The tail housing is different between the two.

Not sure about the AX5 but you may have to change the output shafts as well. I know they are different lengths on the AW4 and it's possible these are too.

My Info tells me.....

That it would be a pain! The output shaft is rumored to be different too. I have not been able to verify this since the 4 AX-5's I have are all 4WD models. They are very plentiful around here. And do not forget that the wrangler ran this same tranny till 99.

Last edited:
So it would work only if I swaped out the tail housing and the output shaft? I might have to do this because ax-5's are rare around here. :( If it won't work, how much could I resell it for? (I can get it for $70.00)

I was looking at he AX-5 tonight.....

I really do not think there is a different shaft for the 2WD and the 4WD's. Reson being my 4WD tranny has the groves (for the clips) and place for the 2WD tranny spedo gear. I may have to get one and split it open just for the fun of it! LOL! As for resell, you are really limited b/c the traany used most IMHO is the 4WD one. But that last part is just my opinion.

By the way, Where are you?

Back