• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

abs removal (have searched)

jallen

NAXJA Forum User
when i swapped the rear axle in my '01 to a xj D44 rear out of an '87(?) i lost ABS breaking in that axle. the stupid light in the dash was driving me crazy and so one day i pulled the dash apart and removed the lightbulb.

if i jerk out the abs pump, do i need to do anything more that put in a new non-ABS prop valve and redo the brake lines under the hood to have fully functioning non-ABS brakes?

most of the search info i found delt with older xj's so i wasn't sure.

jallen said:
when i swapped the rear axle in my '01 to a xj D44 rear out of an '87(?) i lost ABS breaking in that axle. the stupid light in the dash was driving me crazy and so one day i pulled the dash apart and removed the lightbulb.

if i jerk out the abs pump, do i need to do anything more that put in a new non-ABS prop valve and redo the brake lines under the hood to have fully functioning non-ABS brakes?

most of the search info i found delt with older xj's so i wasn't sure.

You're right, Same as I'm going to do someday on my95. Just realize you can leave it the way you have it, it will default to normal braking.

mark

truethfully, it looks like if i remove the abs pump i will have room in that location to mount an electric compressor.

i've searched around and it looks like what i will actually need will be a combination valve instead of just a proportioning (sp?) valve. does anyone know or have any suggestions as to what would work ??? donor vehicles ???

Im against the same wall on this one.......on an 89. I was told the
early models dont default to normal braking but instead you
loose your brakes...(????)....
System is currently in tack and functional (as far as I know), I
want to swap out current axles and housings........the axles going
in dont have this abs system, am I lead to belive I just need to
change the prop. valve to do get around the system?....
This abs is new to me so any help/suggestions would be great!!

I also have some questions about the early ABS system. I have the stupid bendix system with the electric pump on my 90 wanoneer. I want it gone. I figure I can just get a vacuum brake booster and master cylinder for an XJ with out ABS and hook it right up. Are the pedal assembalys the same or would I have to do some fab work to make it happen. I have also heard of people taking a ford E350 master cylinder and plumbing it up. It has a longer bore and stroke and is supposed to give much MUCH better braking. But would it work with drums in the back. Any way sorry about hijacking the thread. :)

Rip out all of the ABS crap and put in a booster, M/C, and P/V from a '96. You will be glad you did. It is a cheap fairly easy mod. and you'll have better braking then ever before.

thanks for all you help everyone. davey is hooking me up with a booster and prop valve from a '96 and autozone is supplying an e350 master cylinder.

at some point over the next couple weeks the ABS stuff is going out and KUNG-FU brakes are going in. the removal of the abs pump will also provide me the necessary space (i think) to mount a compressor.

WOO HOO.

Back