• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone with soft springs make disco rear sway bar?

Bender

NAXJA Forum User
I've been fine tuning my rig for a good 4.5 years now and have it at a great balanced state for off-roading. I get equal flex in the front and rear at about 5.5" and 33" tires. The problem I'm having is with the on-road ride. The factory rear leaf setup gave the truck quite a bit of sway stability and now that I've got the front and rear suspension setup to flex so much the truck has lost a lot of it's on-road handling characteristics. I've installed a larger front sway bar with poly bushings but I'd like a little more stability. This truck is my daily driver and my new job requires a highway commute every day so I'm looking to tighten it up a bit.

Anyone make a custom rear disco swaybar? I've thought of a few ideas but I figured I could learn from others experiences on the subject.

Thanks

Mine has a good balance front to year (without funny shackles), with fairly soft rear springs. I'm not too comfortable with the amount of lean in corners without the front sway bar attached. However, I run Rancho 9000's in the rear and when set on 5 the stability is quite a bit better. My ride is still good with them on 5 because the springs are soft enough. I really like the ride best on 4, but I like the handling best on 5, and the ride is still pretty good. Don't know if you've already tried adjustable shocks in the rear, but they work good for me.

I am considering, however, going to an Anti-Rock sway bar in the front and going back to the stock sway bar in the rear. I would just leave it connected, looking for more stability off road...both for slow and fast going.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I'm running Rancho 5000's all around which are a relatively stiff as far as shocks go. I have relocated and angled my rear shocks so they are less effective at damping than the old stock setup. I don't run any fancy funny shackles but I have relocated my shackles mounts down and forward. I have a good 20* rearward shackle angle at static ride height.

I was contemplating reinstalling the stock rear sway bars with some sort of disconnect system but access back there is somewhat more limited than the front so disconnecting it would be a PITA.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/71396094/71396797QdDhRy
http://community.webshots.com/photo/64836838/65412992ZSvZds
http://community.webshots.com/photo/64836838/65318153pATROy

Decisions, decisions :D

rear sway bar

I've read where other members have fabbed-up their own discos for the front with lots of sucess. I would think, if you took a grade 10 bolt (same lenght as lift) and welded it to your stock antisway bar mount; that would be a start. Then use a wing nut at the top to make it a qwik-disco! I know it sounds real simplified :rolleyes: , but if you do a search on home-brewed front discos,....I'm sure the pics will give you guys some ideas.
I'm going to look into this further, after I finish installing some of the other mods that are starting to pile-up in the garage :eek:

BLUTO :)

Back