• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I just need to vent

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Vent my axle, that is. It's a 94(?) 8.25. From searching (and just looking at the axle), I picked up that there is a hollow bolt that goes through the brakeline T-block. Is this bolt the same for the 8.25 as for a D35? If I need to get a new hollow bolt, do I need to run a new breather tube also? And where could I get this hollow bolt and tube, NAPA auto parts? Stealership?
Thanks.

Not quite sure what you mean, my 98's 8.25 has a vent but it runs up to the gas tank vent area I think. I looked for it once a long time ago.

My axles have their vents near the top of the pumpkins, with little press-in fittingsfor the hists, and the small check valves t the end of the hoses. I'll have to take another look at the rear axle, but I think it's that way as well (I'd just like to make sure...)

5-90

RichP
Not quite sure what you mean, my 98's 8.25 has a vent but it runs up to the gas tank vent area I think.
5-90
My axles have their vents near the top of the pumpkins, with little press-in fittingsfor the hists, and the small check valves t the end of the hoses. I'll have to take another look at the rear axle, but I think it's that way as well (I'd just like to make sure...)

5-90
What I'm doing is swapping in an 8.25 where a D35 lives now, I'm trying to find out if the vent hose end is the same on both. If they're different, I need to know where to get a hose and end for an 8.25
Maybe this should be in Mod Tech after all. :dunno:

Aha! Where is the vent normally on a ChryCo 8.25"? I ask because all I've got around here are 3xD30, 3xD35, and 2xD44. All of those have the little hole at the top of the pumpkin, where one inserts a small fitting. From this fitting, you run a breather line to pretty much wherever you damn well please, and then you put the little check on the end to keep crap from falling in.

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to use the line that was there for the D35, as long as you can mate it to the 8.25" somehow. If there isn't one, the vent line is usually 1/4" rubber hose, with the little check on the end (like the one on the vent line for the transmission, transfer case, and front axle) to keep the crud out. It's possible to do it other ways, but why?

Anyhow, most of the provisions for what you want to do should already be in place. Is that what you wanted to hear? It is possible you may not have a vent port on the axle - picking a suitable place to drill/tap for an NPT to hose barb fitting isn't going to harm anything...

5-90

It is offset to the ...drivers... side, on the axle tube. It's in a friend's garage right now, apartment life sucks.
It's going under as part of a springover (MJ), so the tube will probably be pretty short by that time anyway. Maybe splice in an extension, and a different end if needed? Once the ground is dry out here I guess I'll have to get underneath and do some figuring. Thanks for your help.

Either that, or just plug (plug-weld?) the extant hole and drill/tap near the top of the pumpkin and add a fitting. There are also press-in fittings (I know Year One has them,) but they are Nylon and I see no reason to install something weak when one can do better in the first place.

If you pick a location on the centreline and about 1/2" down, that should be good. I'd have to check, but that seems to be where I remember my vents being. Compare to the D30 up front, as I recall that being a "central" vent. As I mentioned, you should already have the vent line in place - if not, I think an exit all the way up behind a taillight would be a decent idea - that way, you've got a better shot at keeping the water out...

5-90

Your first guess was right. The hollow bolt that attaches the brake line T fitting is the breather.The hose runs to the frame rail to a fitting that goes in the rail.
Wayne

Ok, for anyone who may have been following this, the vent on my 35 is on the axle tube, just like my new(er) 8.25. It looks like it has enough slack for road use, and I'll just have to lengthen it before I wheel it.
BTW, anyone know where to find a little cheapy angle finder? I kinda need to measure a few things.

Phil Weeks said:
Ok, for anyone who may have been following this, the vent on my 35 is on the axle tube, just like my new(er) 8.25. It looks like it has enough slack for road use, and I'll just have to lengthen it before I wheel it.
BTW, anyone know where to find a little cheapy angle finder? I kinda need to measure a few things.

D30 punkin' has the vent on the upper rim facing backwards. Took me forever to find mine when I first got my XJ.
My D35 & D44 has the vent holes on the axle tube. Dealership doesn't carry the axle mounted 'split' block w/ the hole in it, dunno about the vent bolt itself. For that, I used a fuel line fitting, rethreaded the hole & slipped a small piece of fuel line inside.

Harbour Fruit has the angle finders.

If ya run a lot of water crossings - run that vent tube up into the gas cap region & toss on a cheapo fuel filter. Vent tube extensions

Back