• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper Plans

Majo

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going home for my thanksgiving break and am skipping a day of classes to extend it to a 9 day break. I"m wondering if anyone has some rear bumper plans, one with a tire carrier,...with measurements and all, as I will be crunched for some time during the week i'm sure(going hunting with dad) I'm looking mainly though for suggestions too on like how far back to extend mounting bracket... things you would have done or wouldn't have done etc... any input is appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time,

Sean

Get a long piece of 3x6 3/16 box tubing, shape the ends how you want them. Mine resembles the new Warn rear bumper except instead of the corners jutting out they conform perfectly to the body. The brackets were fabbed out of 2x2 1/4 box tube that extended down the frame rail and tied into my Rustys hitch. The brackets also have a plate welded perpendicular to line up with the original bumper holes- thats right 7 bolts per side- 14 for the whole bumper (can we say overkill). On one side weld in another piece of box tubing that will accept the end of a Rockstomper hinge (2.5" maybe?) This will be a verticle boxed hole if you can visualize it.

For the tire carrier run one long 2x2 (1/8?) box tube piece to the hinge. In the middle run a verticle piece, then I made triangles to stiffen it up. /I\
/ I \ kind of like this
=====
One piece, which was 3/16" juts out to a triangular plate with three holes that the spare bolts to.

I hate my pin which holds it in place; looking for a solution when I get the time. The IncredibleHulk (screenname) has a good latch. Think he got it out of Grainger. Have fun and say goodbye to all your time; you'll need it.

Back