• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8" lift = new front drive shaft?

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
Do all you guys running 8" of lift and a close to stock wheelbase have custom front drive shafts? Im having some fitment problems and I want to track down if I messed up or if its the nature of the beast. TIA

XJguy

I've never seen anyone not able to run a stock front shaft. The only exception to this is occasionally the shaft needs to be shortened because it bottoms out on droop with a tall lift and short arms. The reason the front is OK verses the rear is because the front axle moves rearward as it droops, including the lift. An 8" lift can produce a 1" shorter wheelbase because the axle is rearward because of the steeper angle of the arms, so even though the lift is higher, the front shaft is OK.

Thanks Richard, but Im using custom long arms, Im trying to keep the wheels as centered as possible. My shaft just seems to be way too short (that didnt sound too good) I need about 2" more just to be coupled, no room for droop. On a similar token my rear shaft is perfect in stock form with 8"+ in the back...very strange.

XJguy

I used a full size bronco ds in mine. Measured the right length for my 8-10" leafspring conversion and was a bolt in replacement. Much heavier than the xj front ds.

I am at 8 inches and my front shaft was about an inch to short so I swaped in a grand cherokee front shaft and it was a perfect fit

I'm at 6" of lift with long arms. I run a 1" longer front driveshaft. I used a '01 and up WJ V8 front driveline. The installed length of the WJ shaft is 1" longer than the XJ. I measured 31.5" on a stock XJ and 32.5" on the WJ. Perfect fit, and it also solved some driveline vibrations caused by my worn slip yoke.

Measure the distance from yoke to yoke and see what length shaft you should be using.

Bryan

the only problem would be if you have an older xj that didnt come with a CV style front shaft

I have 7" and long arms and was just remarking at how little of slip there is on the front driveline before it fell out. Of course all testing has been performed in the rugged confines of my garage ;)

Richard and Gary: You guys know my set up. My front axle runs very close to parallel to my long arms. I would think that there would be very little slip needed in the front DS because the DS and arms travel in the same arc. Right or wrong? I really don't want to have to spend $300 on a front DS right now.

SeanP

Im running at 6"+ and my arms "are" parallel to the driveshaft.Its a stock shaft,right in the middle of its travel and it moves about 1/4".

On a somewhat related note, how about using a Bronco or ZJ or Blazer front driveshaft along with a SYE for a rear shaft on an XJ? Sounds like a good way to get out of buying a new custom driveshaft.

Thoughts?

Back