• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

york oba

azxjman

NAXJA Forum User
I was out wheeling on saturday night and while we were all hanging around the camp fire bsing a guy said that somebody at school sold him a york a/c comp. for 20 bucks and he was trying to get rid of it because he didnt need it. so I eventually got him to give it to me for free. I didnt really look at it till today but it doesnt have a york ID tag on it it says frieght liner but it looks excatly like a york comp. so it is the same or what and if it is how much is it worth because I think I am going to sell it so I dont have to go through all the hassle of trying to mount it.

I dont know how to post my own pictures that I take but here is one on onboardair.com it is identical to this one except mine has the pulley and clutch thing on it
tube-o_york.jpg

I got mine from a U pull It in Phx for $20 out of a Volvo. Also got a good used one for free with the serp pulley on it from an older international tow truck:D I've got OBA installed in my XJ and it is a great investment. I installed it in my 96 where my battery was on the right side of engine and installed battery in the back of the XJ. I also have an airtank back there. Check out my site for a writeup camoXJtech.myjeeppage.com

Jeff CamoXJ

Gary E said:
So you talked a guy into giving it to you so you could sell it?

Its worth $20 if it has the long stroke.

What can I say I am a very persuasive person

I got mine used at the junk yard for $16 (with tax IIRC). It's the long stroke 10 CFM unit. If you have the 6 or 8 CFM units, they are not worth much at all. Everyone is looking for the 10 CFM. To identify it with out the tag, pull the cluch/pulley off and look at the taperd end of the crankshaft. There are 3 designs, for the 3 different CFM. Go to Brad Kilbys website. He has an ID page for IDing the compressor with using the crankshaft.

Steve

He's trying to sell it for GAS $$$ to put up or shut up @ The HAMMERS>>>>>>>:roflmao:

Flexy

The numbers don't stand for cfm, 6 cfm at 90 psi is a lot of air for OBA. The numbers stand for stroke length in inches. Rounded to the nearest inch they are 10, 9, and 7.

I don't know if Freightliner uses a different numbering system than CCI (something like that, they're the company that makes the York). Ford did. The important part of the standard York part numbers will look like this:
210L
The 2 stands for the number of cylinders (all fullsized units will have 2). The 10 is the stroke length (will be either 10, 09, or 07). The L stands for which side the suction port is on (could be R or L). "Suction" and "Discharge" are cast into the head next to the appropriate port on my York.

If you don't see an arangement of numbers like that then Freightliner used their own numbering system. You could check with a local Freightliner service center (assuming there's one local to you) and see if they will decipher the part number for you. Or just pop the clutch/pulley assembly off and check the end of the crank, compare it to the pics on Kilby's site.

The 7" and 9" Yorks are still better than a 12v compressor.

Static-XJ said:
The numbers don't stand for cfm, 6 cfm at 90 psi is a lot of air for OBA. The numbers stand for stroke length in inches. Rounded to the nearest inch they are 10, 9, and 7.

A 10" stroke seem like an awful lot for a small compressor. Is it possible that the numbers are in centimeters(cm)?

That would round out to 3 15/16", 3 1/2" & 2 3/4" respectively. These numbers seem more realistic.

MaXJohnson said:
A 10" stroke seem like an awful lot for a small compressor. Is it possible that the numbers are in centimeters(cm)?

That would round out to 3 15/16", 3 1/2" & 2 3/4" respectively. These numbers seem more realistic.
Actually looking into it, they stand for cubic inches. I had my sources mixed up. Sorry for the confusion. And it's 206, not 207 like I said.
A page from the York Service manual:
4.jpg

Back