• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery / Electrical System

mattb

NAXJA Forum User
In the past couple days I've turned my headlights on with the jeep off. It seems after about five minutes of running low beams my battery can't turn over the engine anymore. Twice I've had to jump start it.

I've got a cheap walmart battery so I'm planning on replacing it with an Optima Red Top.

Is there anything else I should look at or change with the stock power/charging system while I'm at it (1996 w/ towing package.)

The original alternator still seems fine, the dashboard volt meter always reads just under 14Volts and after jumping it I can run the vehicle less the 10 minutes and then be able to turn it off and back on again.

Thanks,

Matt

Sounds like a failing battery. But be sure all connections are clean, at the battery terminals and also at the alternator and the point where the alternator wire feeds into the main wiring harness. Check the connections at the starter -- it's down there where oil can be dripped on it when doing a filter change.

Battery is toast.

Lead acid batteries of the starting type, car battery, red top etc. are made to supply high current for short periods. These batteries are damaged if they are badly run down and severely damaged if the go flat dead and sit. Like leaving your headlights on in airport long term parking while your away on vacation for a three day weekend. If I ever did something like that :rolleyes: I'd put a new battery in ASAP.

I agree with above posts also. However, it is free to have a battery tested, so have it load tested and they can tell you for sure if it does not hold a charge under load. Also, clean all the conections as mentioned before.

Also, you can not beat the price of the red top from Costco, just under $100.

Back