• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange 242 tcase noise

DPC

NAXJA Forum User
My T-Case is humming/growling while I drive and lightly thumps every so often but it works great. I can feel the thumps on the floor and it is just loud enough to hear over the hum oh the 31" SSR's. Any Ideas
I though the growling was the hub bearings but no....
Any Ideas would be helpfull

4.0 AW4 242tcase 3" lift with 31" x 10.5 SSR's

You sure it's not the tranny shifting into overdrive? I've had 2 that did that, both had a ton of miles on em (one of em near 300,000). Drive it in the 3 position instead of D and see if it goes away.

No its not the overdrive. Its more subtle. Kind of like thumping on the body underneath and the roar of my tires are just slightly less than the constant noise I hear.

If it a worn tranny mount, would it be normal drivetrain noise transmitting through?

here's how we checked to see where the noise was coming from under my feet: one person sat in the drivers seat and someone else moved the tranny up and down with a crowbar or something at the crossmember. fortunately, for me it made the exact sound, so we replaced the mount. there are also posts about the exhaust pipe making a noise near your feet at the crossmember. you may want to look into that option. HTH

Mine does a thump/clunk when under load in 4L or when going down hill with engine braking. If I disengage to 2H and reengage back to 4L after several tries the noise goes away.

What could it be? transmission mount or is it the linkage. I lowered my transfer case after a 5" lift without SYE. Do I need to adjust the linkage?

Back