• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting "torque" steer... not bump.....

Ted Z

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... my jeep is about 7.5" lift long arms with one short one on the drivers side....

I have almost no bump steer at all. But when i accelerate it is pulling to the left?!?!

This seems to be getting slightly worse, What gives?

ted, you absolutly positive you have EQUAL length arms?

was guessing at thrust angle.....

your axle mounts and c-member mounts exactly the same?

ya know, when I had radius arms, I'd have the front corner of the jeep dip when I would go from park to reverse, or switch back and forth from d to r.....

seems to be one of those quirks.

is this minor, or severe?

Any chance as you accelerate your front end is lifting and pulling your tires to the left, As opposed to "torque steer"?

Just a thought, trying to think the problem.

Rev

I agree with Beezil and Rev Den.Check your axle alignment.Also you didnt say anything about a relocated trackbar which means its at a pretty steep angle!Although I have dual upper's I have not experianced any negative side-affects!

I experienced the same thing when I test drove mine after making my long arms a couple of years ago, pulled one way under hard acceleration , the other way on decel. I simply adjusted the caster to about 5 deg IIRC. Now it has only the slightest pull, don't really even notice it . TC

Some close-up pictures of the front end would be helpful.

What have you checked so far?

Air pressure

Existing tire wear pattern

Rear locker

Wheel offset

Castor, Castor offset

Thrust angle

Have you measured the front end on the diagonal to the rear to see if it's square to the rear axle? To the chassis?

Are your lower arm mounts even with the axle centerline? Below? Above?

It is lifting the front right corner i am noticing....

Would an anti-wrap bar on the rear help that?

I will check my leaves, Tire pressure is fine.... Wear seems to be ok...

Arms are exactly same length... and the crossmember is exactly same distance on either side from old arm mounts.....

Tack bar is lowered and gusseted on frame side (Very Strong and solid) Axle end is above axle center...... will get pix this weekend....

Locker withe the suspension geometry excaberating the situation?

with my short arms I can get one wheel completely off th eground (1.5' LOL!!) Damn TJ guys have nothing on me :D

How soft are your springs?

Rear and front.

If you're getting lots of rear squat or front pick up under acceleration you'll expereince what you are, a side affect of a soft suspension with a front track bar/steering setup like the XJ.

Just a thought.

mark

ted, can you describe more in detail how the front corner lifts?

I think you are descrbing what I had, but I didn't have any problems feeling it in my steering.

oh!(edit)

sorry, wanted to comment on toz's reply....

yeah, locker! sounds like a contributing factor to me....

ted, you drove this set-up out west right?

did it do it then?

or is this a new thing?

Ted,

I'm experiencing the same thing. When I accelerate, the entire front of the jeep lifts and wants to track to the right. It's worse when I run with the RS9000's set soft and especially when the sway bar is disconnected.

Part of the problem is the steering linkage. I made the mistake of using FSJ steering components. When the front lifts, the drag link pulls on the center link, causing the steering wheel to turn slightly to the right. At the same time, it acts like it's heading to the right, probably because of the solid locker I have in the front. Anyway, it's squirley has hell when I get on the gas.

Are you using a stock configuration steering setup? When the lifts get above 6" or so, I'm thinking this creates a slightly exaggerated alignment problem. When you accelerate, the inverted "Y" design actually causes an increase in the amount of toe-in - which may be what's happening with yours.

Also, since you're using only one UCA, I'm wondering if the bushings aren't allowing for some front axle wrap. Did you use the factory bushing in the mount above the pumkin? Those are pretty soft and with not having the added bracing from the other UCA, that bushing may be really getting compressed. A urethane bushing would be in order if it isn't already.

That's my .02 anyway.
HTH
Troy

P.S. Those rock rails you made for me are still doin' the job!

May be totally unrelated, but I had the same thing happen when my locker took a dump. It only locked on one side, and pulled badly during acceleration.:confused:

Steering conversion to a tie rod and separate draglink can make this happen. Seems to on mine since I did the conversion.

When you step on the gas your front end goes up- effectively pulling the draglink with it. This draws the wheels to the drivers side.

I don't think it is as bad with the stock style steering. When the front end on it goes up the draglink pulls on the center of the inverted y- that changes your toe in but not the steering direction

Or so I think?

The opposite seems to be true with deceleration (sp) as well. When I hid the brakes hard the jeep pulls to the pass side. I've checked the brakes and know its not them

Hmmmmmmm

Ted Z said:
It is lifting the front right corner i am noticing....

Would an anti-wrap bar on the rear help that?

I will check my leaves, Tire pressure is fine.... Wear seems to be ok...

Arms are exactly same length... and the crossmember is exactly same distance on either side from old arm mounts.....

Tack bar is lowered and gusseted on frame side (Very Strong and solid) Axle end is above axle center...... will get pix this weekend....

The typical traction bar is mounted on the left side because of the exhaust on the right. This left side bias does lift the left rear so it would tend to counter act the lifting you have on the right front. I'm not necessarily suggesting this as the cure. You should review your link design and try to determine why the right is lifting.

Sounds like it is bump steer which doesn't have to include bumps. If you have steering imput due to up or down movement of the front suspension, that's bump steer.

I wanna get a pic of mine doing the wheelie before the LA's go on:D That old pic of Kilby flying down the street has got nuthin on me baby!!

The ideal spot for the bar would be on the left side as that is the side that the twist puts more torque on...hence the classic xj lean....

Back