• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

7100 bilsteins

ARTSTER

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have 6 inches of lift and am looking into sum new shocks. The ones that intrest me most are the Bilstein 7100's. My question is what valving would I need/want and what size? I have a 4 cylinder, offroad difficult trails 2 a week.

Thanx Art:dunno:

I don't have any experience with the shocks, but somebody awhile back posted that JEEPSPEED recommends the following valving:

Front: 255/100 Rear: 275/78

This valving is supposed to be great offroad, descent on (again, according to JeepSpeed).

I don't have any idea on the length you should use though.

Rock crawling/Offroad in general. Not racing.

Hopefully some of the suspesion guru's will chime in here addressing the length of shock you'll need.

don't have any experience with the shocks, but somebody awhile back posted that JEEPSPEED recommends the following valving:
That was me..
I spoke to the JeepSpeed guy for a few days about a proper setup when I was going to keep the coil springs..
He recommended that valving with winch, spare and a tad more weight.
He swears by it

That valving is way to stiff,looks close to the race setup.Go to www.eshocks.com I think they have the best "everyday" price.Also go to the valving page for their recommended setups.Bilstiens are nice "if you got money and can get them valved right",re-doing the valving ain't cheap!Custom valving is available(no price),the service kit is 230$ not including what ittakes to recharge the nitrogen!

Last edited:
That valving is perfect for a street/off road Jeep
If you want a mush bowl RockCrawler, then go softer, but if your going to drive it on pavement that valving will be great.
Theres a set of 7100s (4) on prerunners.net for $200(4)

Last edited:
Description: I am selling some 300M torsions and a set of 4 bilstein 7100s The torsions are in excellent condition only been on my truck since april, never off roaded. Shocks are in OK condition 300 for the torsions and 200 for the shocks.

I run 7100s with 255/100 front and 255/70 rear. That valving is really right in the middle. It is too soft to race on, and it might be two hard for a dedicated rockcrawler (though it isn't going to limit your travel or anything). The ride is good on mine like it is, and the street handling would be crap if they were any softer.

Marcus

Thats why I run Rancho's.You dont "need" gas shocks for a trail rig.I run on 1 off-road and 3 in-town.I sold Bilstein's for 10 years,they are always on the firm side.Technolgy has changed,we used to run 22 of them on a Class 1 rig.Now everything on the big trucks are huge bypass shocks with extremly soft valving!This is a set of small(early) shocks off the F-250.....
Bypass%20Shock%20-%20complete%20-%20on%20table%20lying%20down%205.JPG

Last edited:
Thats why I run coilovers :D
ahh rancho.!
If you buy rancho it will definiitly be the last shocks you buy. They back their product up 110%.
I had a broken air line on that lame compressor/9000 setup in Soldotna Alaska and they overnighted me a new line and shock to the closest Auto Dealer.
Remote Reservoir Bilsteins arent in the same class as Rancho's, but they do fine for a OffRoad rig only.

If I ever can find a MJ Im going coil-over all the way around."If I ever can find one"!

I have run rancho's 5000's, 9000's and bilsteins (can not remember the number) and there is no comparison, bilsteins are firm, but rancho's are stiff. Everyone I know with the 9000's run theirs in the 1-3 settings. If you build a shock righ with 1-9 settings then it should run in the 3-5 settings.

As far as them backing product. they would not return mine after I had them for a week (I was very disapointed in them) and when they failed (less than a year later) they would not replace it either. This was several years ago now, but I am put off of them.

Everyone has their experiences,
Michael

In the past I an Ranchos. Never really liked them or hated them, the bilsteins seem to have the additional travel I like. Thanx again for al the info you guys have given me so far.

Thanx Art
:D

Back