• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 update... Hello, Advance Adapters...

mattk

NAXJA Forum User
Well it looks like my 242 is slowly turning itself into a bunch of steel shavings. I'm not sure exactly what is wrong yet but the fluid that drained out was full of bits and chunks of steel.
Exactly what is involved in an Atlas II swap on a '97 with an AW-4 trans? Is there any trick in indexing or "clocking" the transfer case? I understand there is linkage available from Advance Adapters and I intend to get it. Anything I need to know about that? I know I will have to shorten and lengthen driveshafts. Any pointers from someone who has done it would be welcome.

Just in case some are wondering:
I don't need full time. I live in Florida. I don't replace something I just broke. That's stupid. I upgrade. The Jeep has a stock 4.0, stock AW-4, rear D-60 and front HP D-44 both with Detroits and 4.56 gears, forged shafts and CTMs. It runs 33" ATs on the street (daily driver) and will soon run 36" TSLs off road.
TIA
mattk

nothing too drastic , I believe the front ds is reusable the rear DS needs to be longer, you will need to buy the shifters also, You will not need to buy adapters or clocking rings according to the book it is a direct bolt in install, you will need to modify the floor boards to accomodate the dual shifters

PM me and I can shoot you a price

Thanks for the input and the offer XJnation, but I got 20% off list from a mechanic in my club. He's never put one in an XJ before but he's put a bunch in TJs, CJs and YJs. I guess we'll learn together.
mattk

Back