• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle seals

rws

NAXJA Forum User
Need some info. Couple of months ago I changed the ball joints on my 90 MJ now diff. fluid is leaking by the seals and out the end of the axle. These seals look easy enough to get out but how do you get the new ones in? Have done a search and read the MADXJ article but I am still confused. Anybody got any tips?????

On the D30 the seals are in at the center section.The ring gear and carrier need to be removed to do the job right.
Did you over fill the axle? It should be only filled to within 1/2 " of running out.Most fill until it runs out the hole,this is too full.
I,m guilty of doing this also.
Wayne

Pulled this up on a search, though it really doesn't address my mess...

Mine's leaking (slowly) from the pass side shaft. I've got some sort of seal on that outer axle shaft, just outboard of the vacuum disco box.

The only breakdown I have of the dana 30 is in Quadratec's catalog for the Wranglers. This shows there being a seal way out at the hub, but nothing where mine is.

Anybody help? Does this seal come out through the disco box, or do I have to pull it all the way down the tube? And once I get it out, where can I get another? (My dealer parts guy is a putz...)

Thanks...
Robert

Last edited:
1badxj,

Hopefully you found a way to take care of your leaky axle shaft. I have the exact same problem on my 91 4.0 D-30 and haven't found any helpful information. If I figure something out, I'll be sure to post the information. Good luck.

Ryan

Wayne Sihler said:
On the D30 the seals are in at the center section.The ring gear and carrier need to be removed to do the job right.
Did you over fill the axle? It should be only filled to within 1/2 " of running out.Most fill until it runs out the hole,this is too full.
I,m guilty of doing this also.
Wayne

how can this create an axle seal problem? I am new to this game and am just curious...thanks

If too full ,the grease has a better chance to end up in the axle tube.Pressure in the housing COULD push it past the seal.Age could harden the seal.The axle shaft could have a grouve(sp) worn by the seal.
Even a switch to synthetic fluid could cause a leak.
The seal at the wheel end is a dust shield to keep the big hunks out.The seal in at the center keep the grease in,the ring gear/carrier must be pulled to do the job.
Disco axles have another set of seals on the long axle side.
HTH
Wayne

Fogman...

I did get a new seal, p/n 83503504 from the dealer or 52420.18 from quadratec (about $5 either way). This is the smaller diameter one, check yours first.

To get the old seal out, I slid a 1/2" rod, about 24" long, in from the wheel end, so it caught on the lip of the seal. I then beat the end with a bfh til the seal popped out through the disco box. Not elegant, I know.

I'm still trying to figger out how to get the new one in. There's just no room to work in the disco box, so I'm (ahem) experimenting with a threaded rod and a 3" piece of steel. If I can find JUST the right washer, I hope to "pull" the seal into the tube by running a nut down the rod, using the steel to brace against the knuckle...

Disclaimer: All advice in this post is proably the very wrong way to do it, and any and all contrary suggestions are MORE than welcome!

Good luck!
Robert

When I did my front axle with my friend, a jeep mechanic, he had a tool just for that. Made life really easy for us. I don't know if autozone or some other tool rental place would have it, but it would be easiest to get it done right the first time, without damaging the seal.

1badxj, urbanxj, and everone else...

Thanks for the information and the invaluable links. I'm sure the job will go smoothly once I get around to it. For now, I added some gear oil to the diff. to keep it going. Thanks again.

Fogman

Three-week late update...

urbanXJ said:

I did essetially the opposite of this guy at madxj. (big thanks for the link, btw)

He "pulled" out the old seal and tapped in the new one.

I tapped out the old and pulled in the new. The kicker was that, since I only had to do the pass side, I managed to do it all without opening the diff or pulling the carrier. It was awfully tight, working through the disco box, but it worked, and I've been driving it leak-free for a week!

Thanks again for everybody's help.
Robert

Back