• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb question, but I need help.....

Renegade Jpr

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have a dumb and easy question for you guys....how many quarts of oil go in a AW4 automatic? My manule say's 8.5, but I just want to dubble check...

:rolleyes:

Alright great, It seemed to me that 8.5 was way too much. :D

There are two fills for the AW4 - "Service" and "Overhaul." That figure of 8.5qt is the "Overhaul" fill, and includes loading a dry torque converter (in case you are wondering where that extra gallon goes.)

The "service fill" is how much you need when you service the transmission - changing the oil and filter (or in our case, just changing the oil. The filter is really a screen, and I only dropped the pan the first time I changed the fluid. No metal afterward, no reason to fight with the pan!) You only need four quarts when you do your service, and that figure seems to be pretty spot on regardless of model year from what I've seen here.

You should never need to do an "overhaul" fill unless you've had the transmission torn to bits in your garage AND you're putting in a new or remanufactured TC (they aren't shipped full - that makes them too damn heavy for UPS to want to deal with...)

5-90

Back