• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition problem NEED HELP!!!!

xjfanatc

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 cherokee (pioneer). My problem is that the ignition swith (key swith) seems to be working occasionnally. I can start it without problem it runs fine. The problem I am having is that when the key is in the run position none of the things that are supposed to be running works ex. The heater, turn signals, radio, and rear wiper are the things i have noticed not working. The truck runs fine even though nothing works. I sometimes can play with the key either turning it on and off or by grinding the starter by putting it in the start position and it sometimes will work. this had just started suddenly. I have swapped in two different key and cylinders thinking that was the problem but it is still not working. Any help would be great. You can email me at [email protected] or im me there or post here. If it would be easeir if someone knows of this problem I could call them if they wanted. Thanks in advance

There is an ignition switch on top of the column about half way down, which controls the electronics for the start, run, aux positions of the key. Its an auto-zone part, but to replace it correctly you need to drop the column all the way down so you can access it correctly.

broken xj have you had this problem or replaced it yourself? What is the actual name for it if you know thanks

It is called the "Ignition Switch". Your key and cylinder is totally
mechanical and move a rod up and down to the switch located
on top of the column.

I tried replacing it myself, from info on this form and ended up
screwing up my column. I was only pulling the column down about 5" - 6" inches, which is still not enough to get at the switch. It think you have to have the column laying on the seat to service this switch correctly.

I agree with BrokenXJ; it's a bad switch.

I replaced mine without lowering the column. You have to lay on your back and it's not comfortable, but it can be done.

I did not have to drop the colum either..

But it can be a pain in the back. Mine is a 84 xj by the way.

Back