• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual arb's or dual ox's -- suggestions?

jallen

NAXJA Forum User
it seems that dual arb's (with a good air system) and dual ox's (with cables and shifters) are about the same price.

to me, the air seems like the only destinguishing factor and it can be either a pro or a con. with arb's you have the conviece of having on-board-air for other uses. with ox's you don't have to worry about having a compressor issue or a leak issue crippeling your lockers.

anyone have any experience or suggestions one way or the other?

ARB has more of a proven record, but I like them both. OX has had various production and tolerance issues in the past, don't know if they've cleared everything up or not. If OX has cleared that up, I like the simplicity and reliability of a cable.

There is no substitue to ARB.

You can carry extra tubing if you bust an air line. It takes about 2 minutes to put in a new line. You can also install very heavy duty air line that is extremely durable. Another trick is to run you air tubing inside of some rubber fuel line for protection.

You can carry on board CO2 and have a quick connect back up if your compressor fails.
You can carry a spare solenoid.

I've not met one person who wheels with an Ox that is 100% satisfied with it. It seems to be near unanimous that they have difficulty disengaging them.

The ARB is complex, no doubt, but also proven with millions and millions of units sold around the world.

ARB is the ultimate - everything else is just an imitation:D

C-ROK said:
It seems to be near unanimous that they have difficulty disengaging them.

it's easier to disengage it than to engage it, but i've learned some tricks and it's working fine. seems like a lot of issues are from improper adjustment of the cable and shifters.

i'v had ARBs in my old YJ and loved them. OX is ok too, no o-rings to go bad.

I was thinking of doing an OX in the front, until I looked at the install. That is one big job. I don't know if ARB is as tough with the mill work and such. I haven't looked into it yet...I hope not.

Just something to consider.
Curt

C-ROK said:

I've not met one person who wheels with an Ox that is 100% satisfied with it. It seems to be near unanimous that they have difficulty disengaging them.

You haven't met me?!?

Jes

I sell ARB's and do not reccommend using that compressor to air up your tires or for tools (with or without a tank)...

Everyone in my club who has OX's has or has had some kind of issue with them. They seem to have problems having them engage/disengage. A few people honestly wish they had gone with the proven arb setup, instead of the new ox rage. I honestly have never met a person in real life that is unhappy with the arb. I have a rear arb and have been very happy with it.

As Toz said, don't use the arb compressor for airing up. It's pretty slow and I've been told that its really don't meant for running for such a long time (it would probably take at least 20-25 minutes to air up 33's)... it's really only meant to turn on for a few seconds, fill the tiny little tank, and rest for a while.

KEVIN

We put in a OX in my friends TJ. At first we had some engagement problems but after we re routed the cable it works great. You can shift it w/ no problems at all.

it takes 45 minutes to air up 35s. and i never had a problem, but than i never go wheeling either. jack

I was torn between ARB and OX in my front axle. I solicited input from approximately 20 OX owners for feedback on their ownership experience. All of them had or continue to have some sort of cable adjustment issues. A few had other issues that were somewhat minor and a few had catastrophic failures.

With this information in hand and with the knowledge that OX isn't apparently in business at this moment, I decided to stick with the tried and true ARB.

Now I know that ARB's have had some breakage issues as well, but I have dealt with ARB with warranty issues in the past and they have been extremely fair thus far. I have only had the ARB in for a month now and have used it on a two day trip off-road, but it has been a smooth operation thus far.

i have front and rear arb's. at first i was having a sorts of probs like dirt in the selinoid and stupid little things like that. but when you learn about all those little quick fixes they work great. its like a full spool! oh yea always carry 30amp fuses

I would go with the ARB's because of the fact that when my daughter in law had a problem with ther's they sent her one with out any problem. And good service like that is hard to find.

"..it's really only meant to turn on for a few seconds, fill the tiny little tank, and rest for a while."

from my ARB manual-

when used to inflate we recommend it be allowed to cool down after a maximum running time of 45 minutes

:rtm:

Go ARB's, install them properly and they'll last. I've been running them for 13 years on my Toyota without even the slightest problem. 7 years on the XJ and replaced the front diff at five years after breaking the axle first taking out the locker, they shipped a new one for 200 bucks, great service IMO. The leaking o-ring complaints are usually due to improper installation or gritty fluid following water crossings etc. The compressor is really way to small and slow for airing up tires, don't waste yer time trying. TC

Back