• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive to shop in Part-time 4x4 or pull front shaft?

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
A co-worker already drove our '89 work cheroke about 20 miles in part-time 4x4. I don't know whether anything broke while he drove it, but i need to get it to a shop now and it won't come out of part-time 4x4. Should I just drive it there or pull the front driveshaft? It has a non-disco d30 and an np242 if that matters.

Thanks!

Pull the front drive shaft

Thx guys, it's off. My powertank made quick work of it. :D

Funny part is once I got the front part of the driveshaft off and drove forward a few inches to get to the remainder of the screws, it came out of part-time 4wd. Oh well.

Does that narrow down why it wouldn't come out of 4wd?

No clues here. Just try changing out the fluid for some fresh stuff. Look for any metal in the old fluid. It might be good to check the shifter linkage. Try shifting to 2wd while slowing down at ~30mph to see if that help. That is of course WITH the driveshaft in.

I don't think 20 miles in part-time 4wd will do any damage.

Like the old Willys I find that sometimes if you backup just a foot or so it is easier to come out of 4WD.:)

techno1154 said:
Like the old Willys I find that sometimes if you backup just a foot or so it is easier to come out of 4WD.:)

Oooh, I'll have to try that next time ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Over the years I've probably driven that thing a hundred miles backwards trying to get it out of 4wd :)

Yall might enjoy the guys description of how the truck drove. He said the tires were chirping the whole time, but when he pulled over, the alignment looked fine :doh:

He also couldn't figure out why it was pulling so hard to the right, especially when he accellerated. He thought he was going to die on this little 2-lane hwy, under construction, with tons of big ole semi's flying down the road. But hey - he said he wanted to get back to the office :rolleyes:

Interesting. I wouldn't be surpirsed if they were all more than 5 psi apart. I'll have to check.

You have a 242, why didn't you just drive it in full time?

Turning lightly side to side while driving it slowly forward and backwards is a good way. Also, shifting it at highway speeds (not in a turn) is a pretty reliable way. Doesn't it come out of part time by vaccum? If so then that'd be why.

Back