• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally decided to remove a couple of inches

STRYKER

NAXJA Forum User
I just took a day and dropped the Comanche back to 8" of lift.
Last week, I was out in the "back twenty" and got a little too top heavy for my liking while traversing a particularly steep part of the property. The very back corner of the property is all rocks in a wash gulley that hosts a wet weather stream. It's seen it's fair share of water this year with all of our rainfall. I backed down into the section and loaded up the bed with rocks to build my entrance walls on the front of the driveway entrance.
When I was coming up the grade with a full load on, the truck pitched to the side pretty roughly and I will swear that the front right tire probably left the ground for a second a couple of times on the way up. Now, I've been on three wheels before, but there was always a spotter outside of the truck to assure me that all was well. This felt way worse.

It was enough to make me reconsider the amount of lift and the radius arm angles.

I had some custom spacers made that offset the stock Comanche coil stalks by about 11 1/2" per side to accomodate the stock coil buckets of the full sized Ford axle mounts. They worked great in straightening out the coils, and my security was also boosted , as they are bolted thru gussets in the framewall. But the planned dimensions were off by about two inches. This lifted the front of the truck more than the rear, so I had added 2" steel blocks out back. (from old habits...you never remove free lift) This required longer shocks all around, as well as dropping the radius arm mounts an additional 2" to keep the springs from bowing in front.

Add to this the fact that the disconnects had to be made longer, the steering was getting rediculous (even with hi-steer knuckles and arms) and the trackbar needed to be dropped (again ) on the frame.

I lowered the coil spacer design by 2", (cut them right off) and removed the rear blocks and the radius arm drops. My track bar came back into phase, as did my steering. All this....over a mere two inches.

The truck is a joy to drive and wheel again. I never realized how different it was when I was lifting. Must have been a "lift-i-tis euphoria" effect.

With the wider axles, it now corners on the highway better than it did when it was stock. I'll go back in there this week and retrieve more rocks, and I'm pretty sure that the bitch won't tighten my spinchter this time.

CW. said:
I'm glad to see you brought it down to 8" for 33's.:rolleyes: Drop it 2 more and maybe you will have a decent COG. I'm not getting into this again.

I think you just did. I run full sized axles at their intended width, and the vehicle is extremely stable, as offered above.
I was at 10" for approximately 2 months before I removed it. It was experimental from the get go.

I decided after the event of last weekend to just let the 2" go. To remove more would require much more. I'm fresh out of things to cut off to reduce the height.
Not that I would want to either. I think the hill took advantage of a weak coil spring situation when they were piked out to 10"..... I think I've remedied that. I'll know for sure on the weekend.

As for tire size....it is mostly function....but preference does play a role as well. I think rigs with 4.5" of lift trying to shove 35" Intercos under the cut fenders is rediculous. :rolleyes: .....but it suits some, so .....so be it...

STRYKER said:
I will swear that the front right tire probably left the ground for a second a couple of times on the way up. Now, I've been on three wheels before, but there was always a spotter outside of the truck to assure me that all was well. This felt way worse.

:rolleyes:

I think you just did. I run full sized axles at their intended width, and the vehicle is extremely stable, as offered above.
I was at 10" for approximately 2 months before I removed it. It was experimental from the get go.
Why would you go through the work of an axle swap, only to lose the benefits of full widths by putting an rediculous amount of lift on. I never said you should stuff 35's on with 4" of lift. 10" is way too much for 33's and 8" is still to much. 5-6" of lift and 33's is a good combo.

STRYKER 09-09-2003 17:07 said:
Ford axles under a Comanche/Cherokee? ...I think I invented that one somewhere in 1977.

I guess you know more about full width stability than me since you invented the swap half a decade before the mj/xj existed. :rolleyes:

CW. said:
Why would you go through the work of an axle swap, only to lose the benefits of full widths by putting an rediculous amount of lift on. I never said you should stuff 35's on with 4" of lift. 10" is way too much for 33's and 8" is still to much. 5-6" of lift and 33's is a good combo.

I guess you know more about full width stability than me since you invented the swap half a decade before the mj/xj existed. :rolleyes:

I think some of you guys are wound a little too tight. Half of what is said in jest on any forum out there becomes "fact" to some....
I was being extremely "tongue in cheek" in that remark, although I don't think it played that way over an electronic medium.

And I still have the opinion that 8" of lift with 33" tires looks perfect to me....I like huge wheel wells around tires. My fender and openings are custom made...front and rear to a 37" diameter/opening.
And that's just a personal opinion, not an attack on anyone. I don't see why discussions on this polite forum should carry the half-truths and outright lies introduced by one loser on JU.

Let's all get along and discuss things like gentlemen and keep our collective heads higher than that. ;)

Back