• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case egagement problems

good303

NAXJA Forum User
hey, ive just spent 3 weeKs of hell underneath my xj putting on my 3 " bds lift , hard worK maKe the end result even better but heres my problem . i bolted up the T-CASE lowering it and as soon as i got in to maKe sure everything worKed i couldnt get the t-case to shift into 4-LOW now i Know its got something to do with the linKage but i need so pictures and pointers to help me fix it . Keep in mind im 17 and i see to learn better with visual aids thanKs

are you in neutural at a stop when your doing this?

get up under the truck and look at the left side of the xfer-case.

Check the linkage and their connections for dirt and rust. Clean those out and relube the connections with some silicon grease.

put your wife/ gf, somebody in the jeep at the helm while you look at the movement from below making sure nothing is binding up when engauging 4low

if it's still somewhat hard to enguage, change the fluid out
and run it for like 20min in 4hi. Then try 4low engagements
from neutural at a stop.

That is a common side effect of the T-case lowering kit. I had the same problem. The linkage is just a little out of line from where it was. You will need to chock the wheels and disconnect the linkage from the flat lever at the T-case.

Next, manually (with your hand) flip that flat lever at the T-case to 4LO (hence the wheel chocks or it will run you over when you hit Neutral). Now onto the inside, remove the 2HI 4HI N 4LO bezel, it just pops off. You will now see the cam plate that the 4WD actuator travels through. Find something that is 1/8" thick and place it between the lever rod and the cam plate to space the lever 1/8" away from the end of travel (an assistant holding this in place works great.)

Next get under and loosen the trunnion bolt that adjusts the linkage. Re-connect the linkage to the lever on the T-case and Re-tighten the trunnion bolt and it's done. Mine hasn't bound yet. IIRC they outline this procedure in the Haynes manual too.

HTH,

Mark

Back