• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Filter

If you can match the hose sizes AND pressure ratings you should be OK -- with the injection loop set-up there's a fair amount of volume - so the more available media the better -- there is no valve or anything else in the '88 XJ's filter. Also, there is no harm in adding a filter with a one-way valve as long as it'll handle the pressures and flows associated with the system.

Getting parts must be entertaining in Bolivia !

Make sure your replacement filter will handle a minimum of 50psi and have the right size hose nipples (someone help me out - I think they're 1/4", but don't hold me to it.) There are a number of cleanable-element filters in the performance aftermarket that are designed for use with fuel injection - if you have any high-performance auto shops there (what we call "Speed Shops" here in the States) you can find something workable there.

You can also find a whole slew of filters that are a housing with a replaceable element that are also approved for use with fuel injection, and that could be another way to go. Get the housing, and order elements a half dozen or dozen at a time, depending on how clean your fuel is down there...

I don't know if they do international shipping (they probably would) but you could start looking at places like Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com) or Jeg's High Performance (www.jegs.com) for ideas and/or links.

5-90

Lads, I hope you all noticed that Rodrigo is in Bolivia, and answered accordingly.

Rodrigo, the fuel filter is specific to the XJ, and I don't think that filter is intended for any other application/vehicle. I have looked at displays of fuel filters and wondered about other filters, but we have no problem finding the correct filter here so it is foolish to use the wrong filter and cause a problem.

If you cannot buy the correct filter in Bolivia, perhaps someone here can send it to you.

Do you know where the filter is located on your Jeep? If yours is the same as our North American XJs, the fuel filter is attached to the inside of the frame rail on the driver's side, approximately under the rear seat.

I hope this helps.

Bolivia's not so bad

I worked a stint in the accounting department of Cummins Engine, and I can tell you US companies sell a ton of parts in Latin America, both OEM and aftermarket. My understanding is that availability and prices in most of LA are better than in most of Europe. Still, finding the exact right part might be hard and/or expensive - what might really help Rodrigo is to tell him if the XJ fuel filter interchanges with any other common models. I don't know myself but would any common Ford/GM filters work?

Re: Bolivia's not so bad

92xjsp said:
I don't know myself but would any common Ford/GM filters work?

Possibly -- but why risk an unknown if the correct filter is available?

Originally posted by Eagle
the fuel filter is specific to the XJ, and I don't think that filter is intended for any other application/vehicle.

Just because a filter can fit the same physical location does not mean it will "work" -- at least not correctly. This is the same problem I have with people who write that we should all be running such-and-such a Ford oil filter because it's "bigger." Yes, it screws onto the XJ filter adapter -- and it doesn't have an anti-drainback valve so every morning you get a dry start.

If it were as simple as using a filter that already fit something else, don't you think the factory would have done that instead of coming up with a unique filter that doesn't interchange with anything?

The filter is same the GF517

Only the Dealer sell jeep parts and requests by the filter $us 90

IT'S CRAZY

Ok the specific is the solution, I will give a present of $us 90 to the dealer :mad: :mad: :mad:

thanks for the answers.

Rodrigo

Rodrigo --

Send me a private message (PM) with your postal address. I have this filter. I paid half of the usual price because the shop lost the box, but after I bought it I did not use it in the Cherokee I was working on because the filter was already new.

I can send it to you for much less than $90 :)

Back