• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie upgrade help

Hey everyone,

Recently got a '95XJ, now I want to lift her and upgrade the tires.

I have Dana 30 Front & Dana 35 rear. 15x8 AR wheels. The gearbox has 2H, 4WD part-time, 4WD full-time, & 4LO. Don't know the No.

I would like to lift her a much as possible without involving a SYE &/or upgrading the axles( I already have warped disc's to deal with$$$)

With the lift I also want to add the largest tires possible that will not compromise drivetrain reliability and fit my existing rims. I am after height not width.

The terrain I deal with is sand, mud & rock.

The car does daily driving but is only 'bout 25km(16miles) a week.

Thanks Guys:cool:

I would have to reccomend what was told to me when I first got my XJ:
1st. armor and tow points
bumpers, rock rails, skid plates, ect.

As far as a lift goes, a 2 or 3" lift with 31" tires is probably the best bet. 31's are about as much as you'll want to go without changing gears. That's where I'm at right now and I've been very pleasantly suprised by the capability of this set up. It works very well. Good luck and have fun.
Chad

Cast one more vote for the same. 3" and 31's. They will rub a little somewhere but it shouldn't be bad enough to worry about. BTW you have a Selec-Trac transfer case. NP 242. Great for snow, rain or icy roads.
A piece of advice: stay away from pro-comp springs. they are a bit stiff and the shocks are worse. If you have the money, most say Old Man Emu is the best hands down. Twice as expensive as the others, but you will end up spending the money anyway.
Good armor is a great idea as are sway bar disconnects. I like JKS myself.
Have fun!
mattk

A good friend of mine has your same set up on a 95 and wanted to do the same thing.

We installed the 3" rusty's lift and had no significant vibrations after installing the transfer case drop kit. It did need the drop kit though. It works well for stock driveline and 31's no new gears.

I agree, first tow points and protection, then lift , tires, and gears eventually (once you figure out where you are going).

Any more lift than 3" on a 95 and you are looking for trouble without a SYE.

Michael

Back