• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird headlight problem..help needed

sbxj

NAXJA Forum User
While walking to my Jeep yesterday I noticed my headlights were on (93 XJ) and the parking lights were not. I was sure I did not leave the lights on and when I checked the switch it was in the off position. Put key in and switched headlights on/off (to de-activate the headlight delay if it's on) and they still stayed on. They will not go off. Then I notice the lenses are cracked. Started up Jeep, drove about 5 miles and all the lights start dimming and amp guage is dropping fast. Headlights are dim but still will not turn off unless battery is disconnected. What could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The fact that the headlamps were on but not the parking lights suggests the problem is not in the switch, since that controls both. Does your XJ have the "Headlight Sntinal" or whatever they call that one-minute delayed off feature? If so I'd suspect that module may have failed. I think it's under the dash just behind the headlight switch, and can be unplugged to remove it as a check.

On my '88 I think there's a fuse in the fuse panel for that feature. If you find a fuse for "Headlight Delay," yank the fuse and see if it makes a difference.

Eagle, yes it has the "sentinel" or whatever that lets the headlights turn off if you leave them in the on position after turning off the ignition. Thanks, I'll try it.

Back