• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears in an 84?

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
I’m looking into getting an 84 XJ for parts if it has a manual can I assume that it has 4.10 gears? If not what manual set ups had what gears?

No not the early ones....

In my experience with 84-86 Xj's there is no set pattern to what gears are in them. the 84's came with anything from 3.31 to 4.10's. the most common being the 3.73's.

Last edited:
To further confuse the issue, I have an '88 4-cyl with 4-speed manual that i'm 95% certain has 3.54 gears.

Bottom line -- don't assume anything. A couple of people have bought boat anchors thinking they were getting 4.10 gears, and they weren't what they expected.

OK well thanks for the info. I’ll just have to look at the Number plates on the diff covers.

I've got one of those "boat anchors" Eagle is talking about...need a D30 w/ 3.55's?:) It came out of an '87 4cly. just like mine, but I just assumed it was a 4.10..(note to self: never assume anything on a Jeep)
There should be a tag on the front axle that has the ratio stamped into it, along with the tooth count of the r&p. It may be rusty or all hogged up, but you should be able to scrape it clean enough to read. If not, you can pull the diff cover and check the tooth count also. It is stamped along the outside of the ring gear. Spin it around until you see a set of two numbers side by side, divide the smaller into the larger to get the ratio. Or if you're lucky, the rear has an LSD, and the tag may still be intact enough to get the ratio off of it (or you can check the ring gear on it too)
HTH,
Jeff

FWIW, I found my 4.10 D30 on an '86 that had a 2.8L and auto trans. I've only seen them come with that combo, or a 2.5L/AX5 setup...never in any with a 4.0L (auto or stick)

Back