• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing serp. belt prob

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to get my serp. belt off to check all my pulleys. I loosened both bolts (above/below pulley) but the pulley isn't moving at all.....it seems stuck...

On the '90 the serp belt is tensioned by the power steering pump. There are about five bolts you have to loosen (not remove, just loosen), a couple of which are on the front of the pump bracket and accessible from on top, and a couple on the back that are more easily accessed from beneath or with the air box removed.

THEN there is a tensioner screw that you back off to allow the pump to swaing in. This is also more accessible with the air box removed.

oooooohhh, ok. I thought it was just the 2......ok. Ill go try that eagle. Thanks!

FINALLY got the belt off.....Those two rear bolts were a pain to get to.
All pulleys will move freely by hand correct?? If this is true then my problem is the alternator pulley. Wont move at all....
Am I right on this? lemme know.....

Ok, thats what I wanted to know. Just ordered a new alternator from alternatorparts.com. Figure I might as well get a better alternator along with the pulley.....

also, the two main pulleys (the ones that are not for accessories and such) the one at the bottom doesnt move..... is it supposed to?

Last edited:
imma honky said:
also, the two main pulleys (the ones that are not for accessories and such) the one at the bottom doesnt move..... is it supposed to?

:D Like, dude...... that's the harmonic balancer, and it's on the end of the crankshaft. No, it won't spin, that's the pulley that drives the belt. All of the other pulleys are driven.

Back