• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

European Keyless Ignition

2XJ

NAXJA Member #581
I was lucky enough to visit France last week on business (not too many Jeeps over there) and I saw something interesting that Renault has developed for their cars and wondered if it could be adopted to XJ use.

They have a slot in the center dash console to accept a card with a magnetic strip to authorize use of the vehicle. One you insert & remove the card, there is only a Start/Stop button on the dash - no keys required to energize or kill the ignition.

As the new licences have a magnetic strip on them, it would be convenient to set it up to read the code on your license to authorize use. (I have 4 teenagers - 2 who drive and 2 who are not yet driving). It would kill any temptation to steal keys and get into trouble for them, and convenient not to have to carry keys for me.

Anybody seen anything like this in our aftermarket sources?

2XJ:eek:

Personally, I like the new system from Benz (I think it's Benz). They have a special transmitter that stays in your pocket, or purse:spin3:, that sends a signal to the car that you are in it, than all you do is push the start button. Kewl.

It would cost way to much to adapt that technology in an older vehicle that is not so equipped. Many newer cars use microchips that transmit a high frequency FM signal from the key to a ring antenna around the ignition switch. Only keys to that car can be used to start the car. Even if you could cut a key identical to the one used to start the car, you would not be able to start the car because of the microchip. The card you are talking about uses the same technology. Instead of the ring antenna transmitting an 'ok to start' signal to the ECU, a card reader does. This 'ok to start' signal is read by the ECU and the final stage of the starter, ECU power and engine electronics are controlled by the ECU. Without the 'ok to start' signal from the microchip, card, or whatever, it will not start. The only way to steal one of the newer cars with this technology, would be to steal a key, or have a flat bed tow truck.

The ECUs in our vehicles are not used to their full potential, but they can not be adapted to use the technology that the new cars have.

If I were you, I'd use something like shown in this link for a lot less and greater ease. However, the way to disable it could be taught to your younger ones by the older ones. You could lock up the magnet needed to disable the system, and give it out as needed though.

Steve

Its typical for french products they cant use standard solutions that works for others. During the years french cars have had lots of strange things that often fail or are very difficult to repair.

Torfinn

torfinn said:
Its typical for french products they cant use standard solutions that works for others. During the years french cars have had lots of strange things that often fail or are very difficult to repair.

Torfinn

And let me ask you how much experience with French products do you have?? (discarding the peugeot tranny on XJ's which I will admit was bad :D)

I have driven in Peugeot's, Renaults and I will have to say that those some really nice vehicles. I will say that even though for trucks US has some great offerings, the IMHO passenger vehicles are somewhat limited in what they offer.....

Getting back to the original question. The vehicle that you saw, was it electric or a hybrid by any chance? The technology you have described does sound like something that's popping up in the green vehicles: for example EV1 started when you punched in your security code into this little keypad inside.

Electrical startups on gas engines I think would be somewhat impractical when it comes to making them "tamper" proof as you would have to tap into electrical components which are already a suspect in quite a few situations and are a major PITA to diagnose... Also... imagine having to "reboot" your car just so that the logic used for starting it could start working again as it has "crashed" on the previous attempt :D

French cars are crap!

That's first hand experience in multiple vehicles, not hearsay.

And they are noted for oddball engineering that could make sense only to a Frenchman, or someone who thinks like they do (i.e. not like a normal or even abnormal, rational or semi-rational Earthling.)

I remember reading a writeup (I think it was on PBB) about a guy who had wired a relay into his fuel pump power and the switch for the relay was some sort of magnetic switch that he placed behind the dash. that way you just wave a magnet over a certain (and unknown to others) place in the dash and then you can start the vehicle. you could keep a donut magnet on your keychain and also have a magnet or two stuck to some metal inside or outside. in your case the trick would being keeping the system and location of the sensor secret from your other 2 children.

as far as your idea, i'm certain it's possible, but I doubt you could do it in any sort of cost-effective manner.

(entering into my criminal mindset here)...:firedevil That could be fun AND interesting...I have a smart card reader/writer AND have acess to a mag stripe writer/reader.....think of the fun it would be to "re-write" a buddies ignition system......:)

Joe

If you really want to get into some interesting ignition and lock systems look thru some of the hot rodder mags. They have keyless, solenoid operated doors for shaved handle vehicles. There are also power strips that only conduct power when the doors are closed thru spring loaded contacts. Hot Rodders have some interesting toys to play with. A few supply houses have even taken parts from Hughes, sikorsky and boeing aircraft and adopted them to their hot rod clients.

I believe that Summit Racing sold a card reader to use in place of a key about 10 years ago. Don't know if they still do, but they did back then, it cost about $200-300 for everything (reader, cards, harness). I never bought one, and I don't know anyone else that did, either. Don't know how well it would fly over here, now. Since the BMW and MB smart keys are starting to really take over and have boiled down to Lexus, now. The tech will keep getting cheaper and soon a Focus will have the damn things from the factory.

FlexyJOE said:
(entering into my criminal mindset here)...:firedevil That could be fun AND interesting...I have a smart card reader/writer AND have acess to a mag stripe writer/reader.....think of the fun it would be to "re-write" a buddies ignition system......:)
Joe

Actually I got a better one for you :D You know how the magnet on your credit cards wears out? Imagine not being able to start your car for the same reason :D:D

EURO KEYLESS IGNITION

There are a lot of good points here. First off, this set-up was for a straight I.C. engine: Renault does not make a hybrid or electric vehicle yet.

There are a lot thoughts I never considered here. It would be a MAJOR PIA if your magnetic stripe got corrupted and you were stranded in the middle of nowhere!

I had never seen a system like this before. Granted, the French do not do things anywhere close to how we are accustomed to working, it is a different idea. I appreciate that Mercedes and other domestic manufacturers are thinking their way through security issues with these systems. I do not want my Jeep stolen, but the system should be transparent in use. ( I do not want to be Punk'd by my buddies reprogramming my ignition, either.)

But I also conceed that this would not be cost effective and would have major drawbacks over the magnetic solution or solenoid switches described here.

"Be careful what you wish for or you will surely get it". Thanks for the feedback.

2XJ

If I remember correctly(Depends on the moment!), the one from Summit was a plastic card with holes in it. It looked like the old computer punch cards (no I'm not THAT old!). No stripe to wear out or demagnitize. Don't have a clue who made it, but I may have an old catalog laying around that may have it in there. I will look tonight.

Ibutton?

It's been done with an IButton. Search on Java Ring. How's your electronics knowledge? Building a system from scratch can sure be done, an Ibutton, reader and a basic stamp and your well on your way!
Chuck:confused:

I've yet to get in the XJ and think to myself, "Self, that was a big ol' pain in the ass, starting the XJ just then...."

Yeah,what everhappened to the "good-ole-days" when you could fill the carb by gravity,file the points with a rock,and gap them with a match cover!Yeah,dont ya just love electronics!

Anyone remember the older Clifford car alarms that came with a small keypad that you typed a 4 digit number into to enable the starter/ignition?

Back