• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's wrong with the 01 low-pinion D-30?

92xjsp

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard people say you don't want a 00 or 01 cherokee because of the low pinion front D-30. What are the issues here? Clearance? Vibes? Weaker?

Weakness and vibes yes, but

There really is nothing wrong with it. I have one on my 93', I swapped out my HP D30 with a 2001 TJ D30, for 4.10 gears and bigger joints.

I have a 6" lift, no noticeable vibes problems, but I also have to run 4 degrees of caster. With all LP Front axles, they are harder to align after lifting, because you want to maintain a decent pinion angle.

The question is, what do you want to do with it? Add lockers regear, all are very doable. Just be aware that it's a D30 and a LP one at that. You may want to keep your spending low and spend it latter on a HP D44.

You do lose a little bit a ground clearance - but it's not critical ground clearance. In the year and half I've had mine, only once have I hit the pinion - and I hit virtually everything else at the same time (dome shaped rock...) because the minumum ground clearance is the same on both HP and LP the loss isn't that bad. Of course, all things being equal - the HP would be preferable.

The HP is a little stronger - but it's always said that both can support up to 35" tires (I can't personally back this up - but I have never seen anything to contradict it) so it's moot point. Of course, this is only what I have read, so take it as that.

They also use a new shorter pinion gear,which means less support.The gear selection was a liitle limited at first but that has since changed.

Back