• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose Steering

DannyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2wd 91 cherokee, and the steering seems to have been getting looser over the last couple years. I had it aligned, but it still pulls slightly to the right. It seems like the car wants to follow the path of road. Does it sound like I need to rebuild my front end steering components, or is there anyway to make an adjustment myself to tighten up the steering?
TIA

Could be just a worn out joint on the track bar. This really won't make it pull to one side or the other but it will wander a lot and follow road irregularities. I bought an '89 yesterday and was sure the track bar was shot; however, the joint end appears to only be loose in the bracket. If it is a track bar problem, you can wiggle the steering wheel side to side and see the front of the car move side to side.

tsb

there was a techical service bulletin about the track bar on the 89 model with 4wd. The torque setting had been changed.

Torfinn

Back