• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

caster probs after RE 5.5

FYR WOOD

NAXJA Forum User
I went to get my 88 aligned today after installing my RE 5.5 last week. Everything aligned fine, except for caster. I removed all of the caster shims when I did the lift, and now, according to the alignment rack, my castor is sitting at 2 degrees, not 7 which is factory minimum. My concern is that the caster shoe bolts that hold the lower drop bracket to the support brace are not long enough to allow any shims to be installed. If I run with 2 degrees negative(?) caster, am I going to affect anything other than handling, most importantly tire wear? Thanks for the help.

Scott

At 5.5" of lift, you should shoot for ~5°of castor (positive). If you have 2° negative, then you are 9° away from that factory figure of 7°. Castor is typically positive: steering axis leaning back at the top. The 2° you measured is hopefully positive, not negative.

Castor isn't typically a "tire wear" factor. It does add stability to the front end and helps the steering return to center after turning.

Sorry I can't help you with the shim pockets. I don't have the drop brackets and I'm not familiar with how the are mounted to accommodate the shims.

Scott, did you not opt for the adjustable upper arms?? If not, I would just run up to fastenal and get some longer grade 8's. If you don't know where fastenal is, email me and I'll give ya directions. It's right on the border of C-burg and B-burg by Napa. It's in the self-storage area next to the Chevron. They have MUCH better quality fasteners than HD and Lowes, and they're a million times cheaper too. Let me know if there's anyway I can help. :) Peace

Ary

I got the same problem. I have about 4 shims in now, and the bolts that hold the shims in are maxed out so they clear just enough to hold the nut all the way.
I have 6" lift, and the alignment said I have caster of +2* on one side and +1.5* on pass side.
I dont want to do adjustables right now, but i have more space in the ovaled hole on the bracket. would it be oK to simply move the LCA all the way forward in the hole and tighten it up w/o the shims or shim bolts secured? i dont think it is possible to put in longer bolts is it?

98XJ

Back