• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 XJ stereo wiring

Teron

NAXJA Forum User
Does there exist a harness adapter for the 87 wiring?

It changed in 88 to a one plug.

The 87 and prior were a two plug, large massive bundle of joy behind the stereo.

Local shops insist there never was an adapter made for the two plug setup.

Any confirmation?

Thanks,

Teron

Tried circuit city, that's who insisted they never existed EVER.

They do have a neat Pioneer unit to Jeep wiring for the 88 and up and the newest models too...That's cool, but that doesn't solve my problem.

Teron

Call Crutchfield. If they don't have it -- it doesn't exist.

How many wires do you have, total between the two connectors? I see two options: (1) just cut off the factory connectors and splice on the connector that comes with the new radio. (2) get both the male and female halves of the 1988+ style connector, cut off the old connectors and rewire the vehicle to emulate the 1988 wiring. Then you can use any unit that would work with a 1988 Cherokee.

I know the mating halves are available because I've bought them at a local auto sound shop to replace the connector in a vehicle from which the radio was stolen by cutting the harness.

Eagle said:
Call Crutchfield. If they don't have it -- it doesn't exist.

How many wires do you have, total between the two connectors? I see two options: (1) just cut off the factory connectors and splice on the connector that comes with the new radio. (2) get both the male and female halves of the 1988+ style connector, cut off the old connectors and rewire the vehicle to emulate the 1988 wiring. Then you can use any unit that would work with a 1988 Cherokee.

I know the mating halves are available because I've bought them at a local auto sound shop to replace the connector in a vehicle from which the radio was stolen by cutting the harness.

I've done it both ways. Unless you envision putting the factory radio back, though, it saves space just to cut the old plug off and solder in the one appropriate to your new stereo. There's so little room back there, that the extra pair of plugs and longer wires will be hard to stuff.

If you solder the wires and use heatshrink tubing, the installation will be very neat and fit well.

They DO make it. Try Wal Mart, or Radio Shack

I have the two plug adapter set in my 85. Cant remember where I got the adapter at, but it' s probably at one of those two places. Good luck. :D

Tom

Back