• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Photo Choppers Needed

partsbill

NAXJA Forum User
I plan, this winter, to bob the rear of my cherokee and since I'm not a rock crawler but more of a beach fisherman, I'm thinking of not only bobbing the rear upper 1/4 but also possibly adding a foot or 2 to the rear end from a comanche.

If you go to http://fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures at picture #30 (picture shows the right side up against a rock wall) and add the section behind the rear wheel once more and possibly 1 1/2 more times, this is what I'm looking for.

Thanks as always :clap:

Bill

funny thing....

MOST people have REAL ftp webspace that goes along wit thier monthly package, yet don't figure it out, and don't use it.....

screw all thos sign-up required photosites....

max is right, those places are spam sign-up sheets, nothing more....

partsbill, I'll get your picture hosted for you, e-mail it to me

[email protected]

Guys, I'm really sorry. I really meant no harm in this at all. I tried to download/attach the photo but it told me that it was too big of a file. Its not the first time I've tried to download something. The picture was of Richard Gautier's yellow cherokee that rolled over and he re-created into a cherokee with the upper rear 1/4 cut out. The picture could be of anyone's bobbed cherokee. Look a little further on the tech discussion about unibody strength question to see what I planned and now would like to the prospect of taking it further. Trust me harm was intended. Nor was I aware of any of the hassle. I'm sorry.

Bill

standard.jpg

if I knew it was a picture of goats junk, i wouldn't have offered!

:D

It was kind of hard because of the angle the XJ was sitting on (just a few degrees off level) and the silver plate ont he side is not level, but here's my first shot. Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

standard2.jpg

That's what I'm looking for . Looks kinda funny. I'll think I'll build it. Just got back from the local salvage/junk yard and found an 86 comanche thats just waiting for me to go pick up for a nominal(very) fee. Body is complete except for the rt fender. Therefore if the liftgate set-up doesn't do as I plan, I'll still have the upper rear cab section to put in it.

Thanks Dave:worship:

Bill

are you gonna wheel this thing?

the overhang is gonna kill you, in fact, I have a "chopback" too, and now its a "no back" last thing I'd wanna do is add....

but if yours is an around-town thing, and you wanna mess around with a project like that, consider lengthening the wheelbase.

partsbill, I didn't mean to come off as harsh. just pointing out that if you want someone's help, you don't want to put roadblocks in their way.

alot of us hate these "join to view" photo sites.

p.s.
what Beezil said; rear departure angle is a killer

im still going to make a 4door mj like the silver one i have seen a picture of 100 times.

i was thinking of gettin a '97+ xj and adding an mj shortbed to it with the new tailights. i would extend the wheelbase and it would be just for looks and DD, but i will do it one of these days.

um, if you are buying a comanchee why don't you just put a new fender on the thing and not mess with a complicated chop. The wheel base needs to be lengthened if you do it.

Beezil said:
are you gonna wheel this thing?

the overhang is gonna kill you, in fact, I have a "chopback" too, and now its a "no back" last thing I'd wanna do is add....

but if yours is an around-town thing, and you wanna mess around with a project like that, consider lengthening the wheelbase.

As I stated in the opening paragraph, I'm not a rock crawler yet more of a beach fisherman. I live on the coast of North Carolina where the nearest rock to crawl is probably 250 miles away. And on top of that, I guess I'm probably just not a "hard core" off roader. I'm probably more of an around-towner type of guy who stays at home and build boats as a main hobby and has driven jeeps for the last 20 years, yet likes to be able to go where only a 4X4 can go from time to time.

As far as lengthening the wheelbase, I think that is probably a little out of my league. I was actually ejected from a jeep in a head on collision at 55 mph where the cj-5 eventually rolled and crushed the roll-bar. I can do no worse in the strengthening dept. of the chopped cherokee than that factory "roll" bar, yet my knowledge and skills, I believe are far from stretching the wheelbase. Which this also entails considerable more expenditure far beyond even the developement and trail and error in building boats that I have done for years. At the risk of sending you to another website, look at this one
http://www.humanpoweredboats.com/Photos/OtherDisplacementHPBs/BillsMonoHull.jpg
It shows one of the boats I built for a once a year race in which I propelled it to first place at a whopping 8 mph. I am currently building a similar one that is 2 feet longer, 4" wider, and 45 lbs. lighter. Hopes are to get it to the 12 mph mark for the 100m dash. Thanks for the info and I'll keep you posted

Bill

CW. said:
um, if you are buying a comanchee why don't you just put a new fender on the thing and not mess with a complicated chop. The wheel base needs to be lengthened if you do it.

The comanche is mine for a whopping $250.00 YET its 2.5 engine as stated on the emission label is gone as well as the rest of the drivetrain(frame and body resting on pallets). Besides, I had a J-10 once, about a year ago, and at 6'4" and 210 lbs. it was a squeeze for me to get my legs comfy in it. I'm sure the comanche would be just as yight or worse.

On the wheelbase lengthning statement again, a picture keeps coming to mind of a vehicle I've seen somewhere; perhaps a race vehicle, maybe from as long ago as the 1950's, that had just such an overhang or longer. It did look odd, but even full size dodge rams at work have a long overhang of the rear. This is just a second vehicle, and since I do tend to spend waaaaaay too much money at other things, and I have convinced my wife to let me keep this jeep once my son gets a new vehicle, I still need to try to keep the mods in the budget.

Bill Godwin

Last edited:
MaXJohnson said:
partsbill, I didn't mean to come off as harsh. just pointing out that if you want someone's help, you don't want to put roadblocks in their way.

alot of us hate these "join to view" photo sites.

p.s.
what Beezil said; rear departure angle is a killer

My fault, I admit it. I don't understand it, but I'll admit to it anyway. I'm not the most talented computer guy and didn't want to upset anyone when I asked for help. Again, I'm very, truely, absolutely, positively sorry for anything you guys thought I was trying to get you in to.

Bill

PS. I just read your post again, and I didn't have to join to look at it. Maybe I sent you to the wrong place. In this same forum, look at my question containing Unibody Strength Question and go down to where Richard Gautier directed me to look at his pictures of his jeep when he re-built it. I went there and didn't have to join to look at it and thats where I thought I sent you.

Okay, I'm going to jump in here with my uneducated thoughts.

First, I agree that the depature angle is bad there, unless you have big tires (like Goatman there does) and a good amount of lift you'll smack the bumper on driveways. I understand the trouble of the wheelbase, I wouldn't be able to do that either :)

Now, the MJ...What year is it? If it's after 1987 it'll accept a 4.0, I'd say go ahead and transfer the engine, trans, and drivetrain from your XJ over, if it's older, well...not much chance there.

Another option, this is a bit more advanced (but not to the point of lengthening the wheelbase I think) would be to cut the bed up a bit, I'll try to show a Photoshop example. To do this you;'d have to cut the floor out of the bed and raise it up a few inches, then weld it back into place, you'll see what I mean here soon...

Sequoia

Alright man, here goes:

chop2.jpg

The red lines are the original extension, the outline of it, and it's departure angle.

The green line is the departure angle of this version. The blue line is the level of the floor. (This would be assuming you wanted a flat floor, if you don't mind the floor angling upward it can either be straight and tilted, or have a jog upwards in it...)

One thing that I like about this is that you get a good depature angle (especially in case you end up getting more hardcore, which could happen :)). While you have a very short bed (meaning the height, not just length), you have a lot of room there to do other things, such as tuck the fuel tank up a good 6" higher than it was from the factory on an XJ.

Anyway, I'll stop making a food out of myself :)

Sequoia

The green line is the departure angle of this version. The blue line is the level of the floor. (This would be assuming you wanted a flat floor, .......

I would want/need to have a flat floor if I can keep the liftgate operational.

One thing that I like about this is that you get a good depature angle ...

Yes, departure angle would be good, I guess, on the entry to and from the beach; especially if the last hurricane(Isabel) did substantial damage to the access ramp

Anyway, I'll stop making a food out of myself :)

I about to have dinner also.:)

Bill

Back