• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock axles

Hi Guys/Gals,

Great forum, heeeeeaps of good info.

I've recently aquired a '95xj and after seeing some of your beastly machines it must be beefed up.

What are the largest tires you would recommend for stock axles?

I do sand/mud & rock and let's not forget miles & miles of corrigations:mad:

I'm running 31x10.50's (bet you get metric tires over there so that doesn't help). My YJ is running 33x12.50's (335's Metric?)on stock axles and it hasn't killed them yet. If your nice to them 35x12.50's will work too. The type of driving (how hard you are on the XJ) will determine how long your D30 and D35 axles will last with larger tires. With 31's they should be fine... as you get bigger the stress on the axles will increase and shorten their life. Another thing to consider is how high you plan on lifting. With 3" up front and 3.5 in the back I'm fine with 31's.

Hope this helps a little....

It's not that simple answer... it all depends on the terrain (not all mud was created equal, although mud when you stick can get taxing)... it also depends on how heavy foot you got and so on. ALso do you have the rear 8.25 or rear D35?? If you got ABS then you got D35... also D35 is roundish and it kind of looks like a bigger front axle on the shape of the pumpkin....

Also, I know of (heard of) people breaking parts with 31' tires and I have heard about those who ran 33' tires without too many problems....

Back