• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cutting out/stalling/won't start

tjnavyblue

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. I'm a newbie.
My cherokee has been acting up lately which hasn't been a good thing, considering it's my only ride. First, it starting cutting out, like randomly, every ten seconds or so. I came to a stoplight, and it quit on me. It wouldn't start. However, a few hours later, when I got a rig and came back to tow it, it fired right up. After it had warmed up and run for awhile - I decided to drive it home - it started cutting out again. However, I kept the RPMs up and it didn't die. I replaced the fuel filter. No good. The weird thing is it'll start if you kill the engine by turning of the ignition. But if it dies while cutting out, it simply will not start. Won't even fire. But wait a few hours and it'll fire back up. I dumped a generous amount of real decent fuel injector cleaner in the tank - still no good. Then somebody told me about cleaning the connections on the ballast regulator thing - that seemed to work. I thought I had the problem fixed. Until a few hours ago when it died and won't start again. I'm a little tired of this happening. I really just want to sell it and move on - atleast, I do now that it's not running. It's a five speed if that helps at all.
Thanks for any info
Tyler J.

Yeah, sounds like crank position sensor. It's located on the bell housing. If you think of viewing the back end of the engine from the driver's seat (using your x-ray vision to see through the firewall), it'll be at approximately the 11:00 o'clock position, held in place with two simple little bolts that are a royal PITA to access.

Good to hear a definite answer

Thanks guys...
Where do you get one of these new? How much to they cost? They're a PITA to get to- but it is possible? I'm a do it yourself at most costs fan... Thanks for the help.

Dealer is the best source. I think they're around $40 but don't recall for certain. The CPS is supposed to be replaced every 75,000 to 80,000 miles, so if you didn't know about it it probably hasn't been done.

CPS a fun chore

My 89 died last Nov...stumbles & stalls then a stall/no-fire 3/4 mile from the first symptom. did that one (my first) on the side of the road, in the rain, PITA since it's kinda 'blind' in there. A second pair of hands in from the top side helps a lot.

Two 11mm size bolts, I used an elbow wrapped with tape at the bolt /socket end and approx 3-6" extensions, getting it from back just in front of the X member. The driveshaft & exhaust was in the way to reach up closer IIRC

Have fun :)

Back