• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding an oil cooler to XJ

Apanthropy

NAXJA Forum User
I have an oil cooler left over from a previous vehicle (vehicle went to salvage, took good stuff off it) .. so I want to install it on GiJill's cherokee. The trouble is, it uses one of those "sandwich between the block and the filter" adapters, and the XJ has some wierd post sticking up in the middle of the oil filter flange.

Is there a way around that? Can I unscrew the post, cut it, and put it back in?

As to the post you refer..... is it the one coming out of the block?
If so the sandwich adpt. doesn't go on the block it goes where the oil fliter goes then the filter threads onto it. It goes between the filter & the O.E. filter mount.
Before you install a cooler make sure to measure (afew times) the area behind the grill, there isn't much room. I put in a tube &
fin cooler approx. 7.5" X 14" by 1.5" & its in there tight.
Good Luck !! (measure measure measure......)

Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

the post I refer to is on the threads that the oil filter screws onto. The threads are actually cut into the base of the post, and oil travels through the post.

I guess I find it difficult to describe.

The post extends into the oil filter itself.

The trouble is, that is not compatible with the "sandwich" adapter used with the oil cooler.

The oil cooler radiator itself fits fine - already measured and test-fit that :)

I think things are different on the earlier XJs..... MADXJ had a write up on converting over to a newer style.
So this post goes into the center of the filter? I wonder if it can be unscrewed? It might not work with the current filter setup.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
What type of cooler is it?
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

The problem you're facing is that from '87 thru '90 the 4.0L Jeep engine used an oil filter with a metric thread. The oil filter doesn't mount directly to the block -- the block will accept a filter directly (that's how it was done back in AMC days when there was more space and less "stuff" in the engine compartments), but there isn't enough clearance to the frame so they used an adapter to point the filter up. The '91 and newer "HO" engines use a different adapter that takes an SAE threaded filter. You can convert to the newer adapter and filter by buying the new style adapter and O-rings from a dealer.

Does the oil cooler actually work?

Sorry Apanthropy to jump on your thread, but do you guys think oil coolers actually help cool the engine significantly if placed in a good location on the jeep? I've been considering buying one for the XJ, but I've read mixed opinions on their effectiveness.

Re: Does the oil cooler actually work?

Planetcat said:
Sorry Apanthropy to jump on your thread, but do you guys think oil coolers actually help cool the engine significantly if placed in a good location on the jeep?

Nope. Not an ice cube's chance in ****. But the purpose of an oil cooler is not to cool the engine, it's to cool the oil. For that, they are somewhat effective. However, IMHO they are less effective at low speed (i.e. wheeling) because there isn't that much air flow. Also, the primary benefit of keeping oil cool is to maintain the viscosity index, and if you run synthetic oil that's not a big concern because syntheticr do`what pretty wel\-

Ho&ever, rtbning an oil cooler DOES increase the amount of oil in your system, and that ain't all bad. I'm certainly not sayinf thä} are bad, just that I'm not conviced they are worth the money and effort of installati®m in other thanpan `ll-nt competition vehible.

I did the filter thrtcd bhanvm out and reused thd '90&adapter turned sideways. A full size "ford" filter will fit, so a short filter0ind sandwich adapter miv`t - :rollexes:L
I was going to add a cooler - looks like another delete from the fantasy buildup for some good re`sonr( Oh welo, Jeeps are all about axles, anyway.

I've always installed oil coolers on every vehicle I have owned, since I owned a Montero when I was 18.

The reason is, the oil was always a dark, opaque black color when I changed it until one day I bought an oil cooler for no real reason... then the next time I changed my oil the oil came out looking just a couple shades darker than brand new fresh oil.

Since then, an oil cooler has been my first upgrade on any newly acquired car. necessary? no. makes me feel better though.

Cooling the oil @ low speeds

If your intended use of the oil cooler is to cool the oil when wheelin then it's simple. What we do up here in Canada is just add an electric fan with a temp switch, so you have mass air flow @ even low speeds. The only down fall of this set-up is that the oil cooler and fan will not fit together on the rad and need to be relocated somewhere else. That's my 2 cents worth

heh ... I think we might actually end up doing the hood louver mod and mounting the cooler to the underside of the hood louvers :) ;)

There are some parts of the motor, that are mostly cooled from the oil (or radiant heat). Either pressurized oil or oil bath. Trying to keep the motor oil, down below 200 or so, in my thinking, can only be a good thing. On most high performance motors, I´ve run, I always shoot for 180 degree oil temp. (in the pan). Most of the heat damage, I´ve seen, at the main bearings, wrist pins, cam bearings etc. has been in high RPM motors. But constantly bathing, the inside of the motor, in cooled oil (to about 160 or so) can´t be a bad thing. Could also help, with low RPM cooling, for the motor in general. Most of the truck manufactures, with the heavy duty towing package, include an engine oil cooler and often a power steering pump cooler. Pulling a trailer and turning big tires and fighting gravity, is pretty much the same thing.

Back